Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Converting indicators into spotlights?

zak

thanks Paul, but I am going to 'go for broke' with my headlights.

Got a flywheel going in too in Jan prolly new clutch and a battery cut out cos it drives me insane going to use the car and its drained the battery. *mad*

I am going to Freestyle for mine - where are you going? Will let you know how the lights go - hope Graeme posts how he gets on.

Zak

Updated site 16th Oct 04 - www.zak7.com

Hi Paul,

I bought a 'lightweight' flywheel on here from Wertz - he builds Academy cars for CC and some motorsport company they work with that I cant remember the name of.

Seems god damn heavy to me but is a manufactured lightweight one rather than a lightened original one. We shall see when it comes out.....

As for the lowering brackets for the lights - yeah they are stable enough for me - I get a wobble on one headlight at tickover - but the diff in height is quite significant. The angle they rise is the main change I perceive.

I drove my friend (PeeWee's) 1.6k with a lightened flywheel and what a difference to mine. HAS to be done. SOOOoooo much more lively.

Zak

Updated site 16th Oct 04 - www.zak7.com

• 3 months later...

...Resurrected from the dead...

Fitted some PIAA spots today, shots here -

here

here

here

here

here

here

here

Sourced from Roger Clarke Motorsport, very very bright. They're brighter than the ultra xenons I run on mains and nearly as bright as the HID gas discharge lights. Incredible little units. Cost about £200.

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

graeme@fluke-motorsport.co.uk / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Yep, just one bolt through the nosecone each side. Was tempted to try and piggy back them on the indicator pods somehow but I couldn't find a useable and/or aesthetic solution.

Graeme.

One point to consider when adding considerably more lighting (eg: 200W+ more) is that you will be on, or close to, the limit of current that can be supplied by the standard alternator.

If you exceed the alternator's capacity to supply current, then the battery will not receive sufficient charge, and in fact may end up supplying current to make up the shortfall from the alternator.

You could end up with a flat battery or a low charge battery with lights getting dimmer as you drive.

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Yep, good point. I run a secondary battery in the boot for night stages. The HID gas discharge lights pull down less current than the xenons but with all the other electrickery on the car we need to run the extra one. I ran only one battery last year and when firing the solenoid for the paddleshift the lights would instantaneously dim each gear shift...sure made for some interesting moments.

There's a very useful tool out there by BluePoint that will analyse your electrical system telling you wether your alternator is coping or not. Worth plugging one of those in for a quick check when setting up extra lights.

Graeme.