Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front brake upgrade

Kevsta

Am going to upgrade the front brakes on my car to the 4 pot calipers and the light weight race master cylinder (all from CC...well at the moment). Wondered whether anyone knew if the parts are avaialble elsewhere for cheaper (e.g.are they an AP part that can be bought elsewhere with AP on the calliper rather than Caterham and save 100 quid or so because their are less letters in the name 😬 !

If not then I'll just have to bight the bullet and wince as I hand over my credit card (anyonbe ever noticed that credit card is the same initals as caterham cars...both CC!!!! - Connection me thinks!) 😳

Cheers

Kev

Kev,

have you considered the Alcon calipers from James Whiting?? www.jameswhiting.com

They are £485 plus vat and use the original discs and you don't need to replace the master cylinder, saving another £150 or so. James installed some for me on monday so I'm still bedding them in. They should give braking as good as the CC ones, for half the price. AND weigh less as you retain the small non-vented disc. (on a car as light as a caterham you really shouldn't need a big vented disc.)

You can get Wilwood 4 or 6 pots and vented discs from Rally Design here

Only problem is you have to machine a bit off the hub. Not a problem if you have access to a lathe.

Ring me on 0870 735 0010 if you need help.

(If you want a straight fit with no hassle then use the CC option)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

1200! *eek* OK resale, yes, but you won't add 1200 (or 200...) to CCs offer for the car by having big brakes. If it were my money I'd fit whatever I felt were the best brakes at the best price, keep the old bits and if it ever goes back to CC they are going back on. You then sell the tasty bits on Blatchat in about 5 minutes for half new price - someone will take your arm off.

Upgrade is £646.25 for discs, pads and callipers, and £157.05 for master cylinder (£1200 is for all four upgrade...can't see the rears really needing any more!)

So £800 total including new master cylinder...hefty i know which is why i ask you guys...Will look at others in a jiffy to see what they're like (was hoping for vented discs though i must say!)

Kev

Caterham website shows the 4pot kits as £795 fitted (see under online stores>aftersales>performance upgrades). Not sure if this is inc VAT as the parts are £646 plus VAT.

Note that the master cylinder is not always necessary - depends on how much pressure you like to have to apply. I prefer a lighter force and a little more travel - so the standard cylinder works for me.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 26 Nov 2004 11:34:44

The rear brakes in the all-4-for-£1200 kit are not "big brakes". The kit is called big brakes because the fronts are bigger. The rears are if anything smaller in terms of braking effort which is what you want to stop the rears locking first.

The main thing of interet with the new rears is that they are 2 pot alloy calipers so they don't have those nasty pins which never really slide properly and they are much lighter.

Downside is the handbrake which they don't have (in the race kit) or is a separate handbrake caliper which doesn't work too well (in the road kit). Not sure if £1200 is the road or race kit price.