Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure question relating to Apollo tank

Mrs Kipper

I have a K1.6SS with Apollo. A common problem with the Apollo is that the oil pressure always takes a few seconds to register when the car is started from cold. I will be starting the car at the weekend after about four weeks sitting in the garage. Are there any tricks for turning the engine over to get the oil pressure up before the engine starts?

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

• Support Team

Personally I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to get oil pressure before starting then you should take the spark plugs out and crank until oil pressure achieved. With the spark plugs in but leads disconnected, the stresses on the engine would be little different from just starting as normal.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun, quote "With the spark plugs in but leads disconnected, the stresses on the engine would be little different from just starting as normal."

I have heard this before but I can't see why. Can you explain, please? I can't see how turning an engine over at (?)500rpm where the only load is overcoming compression can have remotely the same engine load as burning fuel in it.

*confused*

I'm not having a go, just challenging received wisdom (or is it folklore?).

• Support Team

BOSS - It could well be just received wisdom. I'm normally careful to avoid passing on things that I haven't understood but in this case hadn't thought too deeply about it. It seems "logical" that the stresses from overcoming engine compression would be higher than not having to, but as to a comparison with the stresses when firing then I am afraid I don't have an answer. 😳 I will do a little research and reading as my punishment *tongue*.

My car has, on occasion, been left to stand for this length of time (oh the shame) and I have simply started it as normal.

What is the standard practice for starting a new engine? If someone were really worried about the oil having drained from the engine then that must be the best practice to follow.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Don't confuse a delay in the needle registering with a genuine lack of pressure build-up.

I've been running an Apollo ever since I got the car, and a SPA dual oil/oil gauge for over a year. You *can* see the pressure start to build on the SPA from the word-'go' whereas the old dial used to sit there for a worryingly-long time before flicking into life.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it takes a ridiculously long time to respond -time it rather than use the dubious internal human-clock.

The other thing to be said for cranking with no spark after a layup (depending on whether you have had the battery on a conditioner) is that you might use up the last gasp of oomph. It would be jolly annoying to see OP come up just as the amps die....

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Shaun

On my new build, the advice was to disconnect the inertia switch, and crank the engine until oil pressure was achieved. This took about 15 seconds. There was no advice to remove the plugs.

After that, reconnect the switch and start as normal.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

If you want to prevent the slow oil pressure build up thing from happening, you can fit a non return valve in series with the apollo bleed return ( from top of apollo to rocker cover).

This prevents the oil from draining back into the sump when the engine is switched off over long periods. I got mine from Think Automotive, it works really well.

Tom