Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brise starter

Normans_Ghost

Have now got my new Brise starter on. (had the wrong pinion so Brian sent me the correct one and took 5 minutes to change).

FANTASTIC!!!

I've always had problems with starters. I've got a spare and am always "refreshing" them to get them to turn over my 11.5:1 comp ratio engine.

Put the Brise on and pressed starter. Engine is whizzing round in one constant turning motion, rather than the whir, whir, whir sound as it struggles to get past the compression stroke.

Now got a Brise altenator and starter and look forwards to neverhaving to bother with them ever again.

*thumbup* for Brise. (and nice people as well)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Graham, they're not cheap at £185 plus £10 carriage Plus VAT, total £229.13.

The "K" series version is more at £249.00 Plus (DT cat)

But if I can start first time, every time and not keep strugling to start when I stall it (Comp clutch start on steep hills), then it's worth it.

Anyone know anything about these here

I tried a geared starter from Cambridge Motorsport a few years back (it was about £250 at the time IIRC) but it wouldn't fit - needed a version with a special integral adaptor which they would only supply to Caterham...

So, I wonder how different these Edge starters are from the Brise ones?

Mike

Mike, I've not seen the Edge starter. I associate Cambridge with classic cars as they advertise in Classic & Sports Cars & Classic Cars.

If no one here has tried it I think you'll be a guinea pig.

(I'm not worried about trying new things as I can sort out the problems)

I bought a cambridge starter for my K-series and had to send it back as ther was not a chance in hell of it fitting as it clashed with the block and exhaust.

A new exhaust may have helped but i believe the problem is that the caterham flywheel is smaller than the std K-series

nice piece of kit though

Simon

Tiddy - how long ago was that? On their website they are now advertising it as for a Caterham K-series installation.

It's all a bit puzzling. When I went in there a few years back they were supplying Caterham with what Caterham were selling as the ultra-expensive ultimate geared starter and weren't allowed to supply me with an identical one, but would sell me one without the custom adaptor plate for ~£250. Now they're doing them for £149.

Anyone bought one from Caterham recently? Is it the Brise (Trent?) one? Or are Brise/Trent/Edge all from the same source but with different brand names on them?

And then there are these here

Mike

Mike,

I also tried the edge sm from Cambridge, it didn`t fit and had the wrong pinion and wrong offset, i found them useless to deal with and they also told me that they supplied caterham which i do not beleive. I Fitted a trent unit in the end it works a treat. CC are currently selling a 1kw Bosch series wound starter motor which is very powerfull and should do the job nicely.

Rob

I fitted the lightweight, motorsport alternator and starter from Cambridge Motorsport (Edge) and they were very helpful. The actual components are well made, high quality and therefore

very good. No problems, smooth easy starting, no electrical power issues (1700 Crossflow).

Worth the extra money, for peace of mind, at the least!