Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sheddly Literary Critics required

ewenm

All,

Given that shortly I'll be back in gainful employment in London, so spending significant time on tube/train/bus ☹️, can the combined shed wisdom recommend some decent books please 🤔

Muchos grassyarse *thumbup*

Approaching 77777 miles...

Wotcha Ewen - The recent contents of the Fletcher library include:

Silver Darlings - Neil Gunn

A town like alice - Nevil Shute

Maurice and his extraordinary rats - Terry Pratchet

Schotts Miscellany - Ben Schott

The Ballad of Halo Jones - Alan Moore Comic strip novel

Girl with a pearl earing - Tracy Chevalier

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

The Art of Happiness -- His Holiness Dalai Lama & Howard C Cutler

Anything by Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers / Dirk Gently / etc)

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkein

Better than life (Red Dwarf) - Grant & Naylor

"Dragon" series - Anne McCaffrey

If you wanna borrow any of these - or want a fuller library list, drop us a blatmail (envelope icon above) we're in the "finding more boxes of books and putting up more shelves" stage of moving house 😬

PS: Are you going to the sheds xmas "do" *confused* we could bring you a "xmas pressie"

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional 😬

See the old Barbarella here...

PPS: When working in London, find the nearest library to your workplace. It gives you somewhere warm and quiet to go to at lunchtimes, kept me sane (some would argue that point) when i was there

Edited by - Fletch on 24 Nov 2004 22:55:59

Just about everything by Terry Pratchett *thumbup*

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series - Alexander McCall Smith

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Ian Pears

The Eyre Affair - Jasper fforde

Spanish Steps - Tim Moore (I think)

Going Gently - I'll ask GTD who wrote it, but be warned, you may cry over this one, which could be embarrassing on the tube *eek*

I also quite like Harlan Coben. Writes murder mysteries, solved by an ex-basketball player! 😬

GTD will no doubt be along soon to add to the list...

Bad luck on the job front... ☹️

Mrs GTD

Carbonette - patches that make it easy to say NO to carbon fibre

Dune

Anything by Iain M Banks (seconded)

All Pratchett (his newer books are better, but you need a good grounding in the characters that the early books provide)

The Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin

Freedom series by Anne McCaffrey

Life in the Fast Lane by Sid Watkins

Flat Out, Flat Broke by Perry McCarthey

for starters...

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Going Gently is by David Nobbs (who, of course, wrote Reggie Perrin)

Anything by Carl Hiaason (start with Stormy Weather?), he's a Florida based journalist who writes darkly comic novels about the corruption there.

Everything by Christopher Brookmyre - a Scottish version of Carl Hiaason - and my top tip for passing journeys!

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

Depends what you're into.....

personally (and speaking as a commuter who does a lot of reading *smile*) I would agree with any Pratchett, Tolkein or Douglas Adams. The Harry Potters are a nice easy read and you can get them with adult covers (no, not THAT kind of adult cover *eek*)

I have just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - some of her books have been disappointing but this one was really good (as was Alias Grace)

I have also taken the opportunity to re-read some old favourites - 1984, various John Irving books and even Wind in the Willows *smile*

Avoid hard backs - they are incredibly cumbersome to read on the tube 🙆🏻

Happy commuting

Tam

Have to agree with Tam about Alias Grace (Attwood) and the chance to re-do the classics. Wuthering Heights - dark & gripping, Pride & Prejudice - very funny (IMHumbleO), Tess of the d'Urbevilles - sad, Mill on the Floss - best avoided!!!

I agree with GTD about Christopher Brookmyre, but you may have the embarrassment factor again -hard not to laugh...

Mrs GTD

Carbonette - patches that make it easy to say NO to carbon fibre

Depends what you like: I have big enthusiams on particular writers that make me read lots of their stuff back to back. The last one I had this with was Philip Roth. Dark, tough stuff about human nature with lots of quite unappealing, flawed and brilliantly described characters, very black humour, superbly written and as rich and chewy as a Christmas pudding. With lots of custard. (Stop sniggering, Ross).

Jasper Fffffffffforde or A L Kennedy look like the next victim. I really enjoyed "The Eyre Affair" by the former and am halfway through "Everything you Need" by the latter. Actually, if you want a good laugh, go to www.a-l-kennedy.co.uk for her review of her reviewers. Very funny.

If you haven't read "Midnight's Children" or "The Moor's Last Sigh" by Salman Rushdie, do so. Even if everything else he ever wrote was pants, he'd still be classed a great novelist on the strength of these alone.

"Millennium People" by J G Ballard was good. "Toast" by Nigel Slater was too. "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer varied between puzzling, irritating and jaw-dropping and was well worht the effort.

Looking forward to "Oryx & Crake" soon, too. Got to get A L Kennedy out of the way first.

Great stuff all.

I've read all the Pratchetts and am working my way through re-reading the Jasper ffordes at the moment. Read a few of the Iain M Banks (and without the M) so will continue on that theme perhaps.

Keep em coming though *thumbup*

Thanks for the offers of borrowing books although I like to buy books

Approaching 77777 miles...

If you like Pratchett, try Robert Rankin.... Start with the Brentford Trilogy -

The AntiPope, The Sprouts of Wrath, East of Ealing, The Brentford Triangle, The Brentford Chainstore Masacare

Also worthy of reading are Malcom Pryce's two books, Aberystwyth Mon Amour and Last Tango in Aberystwyth.

Very good, even better if you know Aberystwyth.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Fletch forgot these

Sebastian Faulks - Birdsong - WW1 setting

I Robot - the original Asimov - nothing like the movie, but pretty good nevertheless

A Brief History of TIme - Stephen Hawking - how to look intelligent on the Tube

Alexander series by Valerio Massimo Manfredi - Child of a Dream, the Sands of Ammon and The Ends of the Earth. I have read the Sands of Ammon and will be looking for the other two on my next visit to a bookshop. The movie about Alexander has been panned - I'll go and see it anyway.

At the moment I am re-reading Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain (politician Shirley Williams' mum) - WW1 from the point of view of a nurse, how hard it was for women to go to university - everyone should read this, you will wonder why we are still starting wars and realise how hard it was for women to get a university education and have an independent career.

Also on my bedside table 'Wicca - a guide for the solitary practitioner'

You will have to excuse me, the eye of bat and toe of newt stew is boiling over.....

Se7en's - the most fun you can have with clothes on