Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alcantara

I reply to every thread

Arnie, I know that this is not the place to say this, but still here we go I would be interested in a half door with a cover over the passenger seat so if you plan on making some, please let me know

Dave

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*

You don't stop playing because you get old

You get old because you stop playing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airhead - How can you put something inside a component during the Resin Transfer Moulding (as Caterhams suppliers, or those who are not in China 😳, are using) process - not easy!!

Mike - carbon is only razor sharp when badly trimmed! We would put a return on the edge facing the driver anyway, and we can add other layers to the laminate to hold it together in a severe impact.

Arnie,

I'm not saying its easy, Just that it seems to be there!

Story goes that a marshal is helping pull some poor sods pride and joy out of the tyres. Front nearside is a mess, the cc cycle wing is damaged to the extent that the front and rear edges are touching, but the wing was still in one piece. Where the carbon had let go and cracked, another material could be seen inside holding it all together. Could this be somthing like kevlar? I've seen layers of that stuck on the inside of rear wings before.

ps. Carbon is also razor sharp when it breaks!

Edited by - airhead on 27 Nov 2004 00:16:11

Thats probably because its 800-1000gms carbon I think they use. The reason it runs straight along the wheelarch rather than diagonally is because it is too inflexible to do a neat job the other way. Cost cutting.... they probably take 1/4 the time a 2 ply 2 x 2 twill diag layup to manufacture.

Edited by - EFA on 27 Nov 2004 22:16:35

Efa, maybe you should get your facts correct before making wild accusations about cost cutting etc etc blah blah blah. The fact is, CC specify what they want and we do it. CC have said that given the choice most of their customers prefer the +/-45 weave as opposed to the old regular +/- 90 of CC's old pre preg supplier. I'm not saying for one minute that ditp, activa, rif etc are any worse or any better than the work we do. But for godsake why can't you accept that sometimes not everyone is going to big you up all the time. Just because somebody gives credit to a product which is not yours you seem to have to slag it off. Why? Are you angry about something?

And for the record, the costs would be the same whether we were to manufacture our products +/- 45 or +/-90. As we do for many other customers not just CC. It's not a cost cutting measure as you would like to say. We can run the weave either way at no extra cost and no difference in quality. In fact it is easier to run it the traditional way for us.

And Airhead you are correct. The component did survive the crash. Although completely trashed, it did stay in one peice. I acctually have the wing in my workshop.

*thumbup* Thanks FP, I do get so tired of the childish 'mine is better than yours' attitude on the topic of Carbon fibre bits. IMHO most people will buy:

1. what they like the look of

2. at a price they are happy with

and 3. from a person they are happy to hand their money over to

For me all 3 of these criteria are equally important so that doesn't necessarily mean I will buy the 'best' or the cheapest.

PS - apologies for the Hijack - I almost forgot this was AVES thread on Alcantara - sorry Aves! *eek*

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

Thanks FP. I was beginning to think i was going loopy!

I thought that this forum was for people to have fair and open discussions about Seven related topics. Not to be patronised and fed a load of pony by people with agendas! *mad*

I no expert on automotive composites, but in my line of work, the use composites has become a lot more common( though most of it is multi-axial carbon material i must admit) Even I know that an 800gm twill weave carbon would look far too chunky a weave to be used in the way EFA has suggested, he must know this too!

EFA has a lovely looking new workshop and i'm sure he wants to make lots of lovely carbon things for us all to buy. He doesn't need to trash everything everyone else does to do it! There will always be a market for pattern made panels. Many people will want to save themselves some money over the genuine parts. But for those people who want to fit a genuine CC panel (Like my Father who is currently fitting a new carbon nosecone) and are happy paying that little bit extra for it, I can say that i doubt that you will find a better looking, lighter, shinier panel.( in my own humble opinion)

ps. Dads well chuffed with said nosecone. cheers FP. We don't all beleive everything we read!

That's reminded me Airhead *smile*

FP, I was meant to arrange a visit when you got the nosecone done but never did, loads of excuses but none of them true. I shall give you a ring next week and arrange to 'pop' in for a cuppa if that's okay?

K, it will be nice to see you again but please dont guzzle all our coffee this time.

Airhead, Glad your dad is happy with his nosecone. By the way, what is your line of work? We too have some multi-axial work going on at the mo. Not Caterham products before anyone kicks off!

Aves, Sorry about the thread hijack Matt. Have you thought about using pig suede instead of alcantara. I reckon it looks and feels a little better and possibly cheaper too.

Yes, Alcantara is faux pig suede but is, believe it or not, more expensive and not quite as "workable" as the real stuff. As for Scotchguarding it, I would have to be honest and say I simply don't know. I asked the upholsterers and they said that they had never done it so couldn't really advise.

Alcantara in the UK is supplied by a company called Boyriven. They are the UK sole agents.

And its bl**dy expensive for what it is!

There are loads of alternatives on the market - the most recent addition is from a company called Kvadrat - product is Microfibre.

Rdgs

Haz

Fibrepro,

It was good to see you again and I hope you appreciated the jar of coffee I brought you *smile*

Thanks for taking the time to show me around the new unit, it certainly makes a difference.

K

p.s. Just to quosh any rumours, I didn't travel to China 😬