Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rattles from the back end of a dedion car - irritating

masha

Something at the back of my Superlight must be loose as since buying it a few weeks ago it has rattled away at the back on most roads. I've checked the anti roll-bar, shocks, wheels, brakes - all of which seem quite secure. Does anyone know what it could be? or what to check next?

No such trouble used to come from my former live axle car (unless the A-frame bushes were nearly worn).

Rattling on all roads doesn't sound right. The handbrake cable can make a hell of a racket and also check to see what it might be knocking against because there are brake pipes back there that don't react too well to abrasion. Check the damper mounting bolts are tight as if they are loose, the de Dion tube mountings will eventually fall off.

When you are pootling and are just feathering on and off the power the limited slip diff will clonk, but that is nothing untoward.

Lets hope not Arnie - I'll be investigating this weekend (time to inspect around the fuel tank next).

Thanks to you all for contibuting to this thread so far - its given me a few things to investigate in the garage over the next few days.

Mat

Hve you checked the torques on your dampers at the top? Is the rollover bar (if FIA) tight?

also check that the rubbers on the antiroll bar drop links are intact. They can fail around the circumference and this can give rattles against the lever they're attached to.

It's also possible for the dedion tube 'A' frame bush to move sideays so it's not central. Then the 'A' frame hits the tube instead of the bush but thios is a clonk not a rattle

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs