Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Velcro on number plates

mark260463

Does anyone have any advise on using Velcro to stick front number pate on with (don't ask why, long story).

Do you velcro straight on to the bottom edge of the nose cone (looks to have too much of a curve on it for me) or do you use mastic / bonding to build up a flatter edge on the bottom edge of the nose cone.

Many thanks

Mark

20 years with no points then I buy this bloody thing

• Area Representative

Mine are velcro'ed on to swap for MOT purposes. The velcro is on the flat bit beneath the grill. I have got 3/4 plates and they just cover the flat edge nicely *thumbup*

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

I used 25mm heavy duty velcro in three pieces, one horizontal covering the 'caterham' name and one shorter piece either side angled slightly to follow the curve of the nosecone. this covers 80% of the numberplate width and provides positive fixing with enough give if you inadvertantly contact something.

I have used the same heavy duty velcro as Dave (think you can get it from Halfords *smile*).

I have put a complete strip the same length as the plate which covers the 'Caterham' name and had no problems so far with the plate moving or falling off *thumbup*. My front plate is slightly smaller than 3/4 size though.

Hope this helps.

Superlight 1800 #185 😬

I fitted a strip of velcro accross the full length of my standard front No plate.

Lasted about 15 miles before I heard a thump and drove over it!

Ordered a new 3/4 plate and fitted it with the supplied adhesive pads which seem to be ok? A 3/4 plate I think would stay on with velcro but I wouldnt try again with a full size plate.

I now expect the thread to be hijacked by Legoboy and Castrol telling you that my car has only ever been on the rolling road. Pay no attention, they have very tiny brains *tongue*

Its not the days in your life ..........But the LIFE in your days!! ;0))

The stuff from Halfords has a graphic on the packet showing a claw hammer and other tools held on to a vertical surface with the stuff. It is massively strong and has kept my small front plate (about the same length as the flat section of the nose cone) on in torrential rain at high speeds........

The full size plate has never fallen off - BUT it is on the inside behind the drivers seat 😬

Dave

Dodge Viper Blue with Metalic Silver nose band and stripe

Membership Number 66 😬 😬