Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing rear discs

neil.cavanagh

one of my rear brake pads has worn all the way through and has damaged the disc.

Does anyone have a numpties guide to how to replace a rear disc ('03 SV de-dion roadsport)??

Or failing that, know of any good garages close to Camberley, Surrey who could be trusted with the work.

thanks,

Neil

Simple matey.

(1). pull the handbrake on full.

(2). using a 45mm socket and a long extension bar (release the hub nut: 270NM). WATCH... THE NUTS ARE DIFERENT THREADS). Essentially for the d/h/rr wheel loosen anticlockwise. For the p/s/rr loosen clockwise. Once done, release handbrake.

(3). you'll have to undo the nipple on the copper brake line into the caliper body (will entail bleeding brakes again at finish) WATCH... cover the nipple end of the brake line with a piece of hose sealed at one end to stop excessive fluid loss.

(4). take a 17mm socket and undo the 2 bolts at the back of the caliper that mount the caliper to the dedion ears. (40NM).

(5). pull the caliper assembly off the disc.

(6). gentle tease the disc off the end of the driveshaft (use a rubber mallet if necessary).

REVERSE ORDER TO REFIT. Make sure you bleed the brakes again before tightening the hub nuts to 270nm.

Neill.

You'll need to check the caliper in which the pad is excessively worn....you may have a problem. Is the other pad the same?. If not something is sticking to cause excessive wear on one particular pad. I suggest you dismantle the caliper slides, clean and regrease. Check the piston seal is not split. Fit the new pads with copiuos amounts of copper slip to aid movement. Apply copper slip to the back of the pads and the contact points where the pad sides touch the caliper body.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm and 182bhp @ 6690rpm

• 4 months later...

Boing

now i have exactly the same problem presenting itself to me.

Now when i pull out the hub etc does this leave the bearings easy to change at the same time.

If so what are they bearings from and are the disc same as front discs with standard brakes

Sod the heater wheres my shades

I missed the split of disc and hubs with the 4 bolts Oliver mentions.

Grind a socket down so that there is no lip as is standard on them.

If you have a mare of getting them off with any damage then replace them so that next time they are new + put copparslip on them to present corrosion.

My handbrake will manage the undo and do up if I adjust it up a bit. You can also chock the wheels as well to assist.

Neil, You are close to me if you want a hand some time... I have big socket and torque wrench, socket etc... No need to split the calliper unless its damaged. Normally the steel pad backing damages the disk.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 19 Apr 2005 15:55:42

i will probably be shot down in flames for saying this but dont let coppaslip touch the rubber seals, use caliper grease instead it aparantly stops the seals from degrading. i have always used this and raced bikes for years with no problems ......a dont think car brakes are that much different