Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oh Bugger.

neil.cavanagh

Well, at least I know what that funny noise coming form the back left hand corner is now...

I'm managed to be a muppet and underestimate the wear rate of the read brake pads. One of them must be totally gone as after the last blat i noticed lots of rust dust on the back rear wheel and when I took the wheel off and felt around the inside of the disc it feels very rough and scored.

I'm guess this means new pads, disc off and new disc... *mad* *mad* *mad*

So, questions for all the spannering gurus out there in the sheds... how hard is it to change a rear disc? I'm meant to be on a track day at Goodwood on the 11th Dec so I need to have something sorted out before then!! *confused*

As I understand it the replacement is very easy

1) remove wallet and mobile phone

2) ring Caterham

3) deliver car

4) drink Coffee and dream of new CSR

5) hand over credit card with eyes closed

6) Go Home

Works for me 😬

When you realise the worlds not nice just drop your pants and slide on the ice!!!

Neil

S'easy peasy...

Take off the brake calliper, two bolts....then I seem to remember that there's a single cross headed bolt to screw the disc to the hub...that one can be a bugger to get off tho!! 😬 😬

Take off, coat hub with copper grease, replace and tighten up!

Dannyboy *tongue*

thanks Guys..

Already got a reply eamil back from CC... 2hours labour they reckon to replace both rear disks (at £16 each) and pads front and back. I should learn to do this myself, but I think I'll ease my self in when I have more time to get it all sorted!

Might get them to fit that lowered floor kit at the same time!!

😬

Buy? Buy?!?

There's a .pdf version floating around. I might still have it somewhere if you want me to dig.

I've also got a .pdf file (or at least a link to a Russian site with it on) of the relevant section of the appropriate Ford Sierra Haynes manual - this'll be more use than the build manual IMHO.

here last time I looked. It's a bit hit and miss, but ISTR that the rear-brake section is something like part 10 or 11.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Delbert - I'm with you on this one - perhaps you could add a D-I-Y helpline to your extensive entrepreuneurial activities?

Caller: "I've got a problem loosening the rear coat hub"

Delbert: "Call the AA and pour a gin and tonic instead"

*thumbup*

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

well I HAVE changed front disc(k)s on my youff, but I'm learning that every time I try and do a majorish job on the car I end up spending £50 on the new tools I need (like a 42mm socket and huge monkey bar and wind back tool for this one) so I'm letting the pros do it for me this time!!

So I'm off to James Whiting in the morning.. hopefully he will let me watch/help so that I can learn a bit. Might get some new funky front pads slotted in at the same time.

Then I'll be already to try my best to not embarrase myself at Goodwood with the Dixons...

Gah! Call yourself a man? How can you resist the temptation of tools??? *confused* *wink*

Mind you - if the big-nut needs to come off, that's not much fun from what I gather. I still can't get my head around paying people to work on the 7 though...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Ah, but Neil, the proffeeshnail fettlers may be otherwise occupied, and those taking, erm , what is the word for people who take up luggage room on the left ? ... you know the type of thing, may well be having a nice meal and going to bed early then getting down for brekkie at a sensible. Compare and contrast with the "looking up the American for 'Where is the nearest Hooters' in the phrase book" brigade *smile*

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here

Noger makes a valid point re touring in the USA.

I`ve been on a few tours now and know what happens.

On my first tour I had no idea about my car although it was fairly new and there was nothing obviously wrong. However I decided that I wanted to know more about how the car was put together in order that I could be reasonably self sufficient if I had a problem.

The main reason for this is that I wouldn`t have to wait around at the side of the road for a support crew.

Fettling, especially if you are new to it is time consuming and I guess that is why people take cars to dealers, however it is really rewarding when you replace something, not only does it save money which can be redirected into upgrades but you learn something too and to me that is what makes life interesting.

Anyway that`s all a bit serious...........anyone for a jelly baby

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

I don't understand. *confused* I'd leave the worn disc on. If it's only just touched the padbacking, it'll be fine. It'll soon polish-up. It also beds the new pads in better/quicker *wink*

You folk have too much money. New discs are needed wnen they look like CD's *thumbup*

its only a game.........