Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So what do I need to sprint?

Nifty

You should try to make the front bulkhead on a Clubmans car such as a Mallock sealed!!

BTW E 12.2.1 applies to the compartment between driver and fuel tank.

Renny Thomson

MSA Scrutineer

Edited by - Renny on 29 Nov 2004 18:33:53

E12.2.1 defines what must be outside the driver/passenger compartment, given the additional requirements for non-flammable bulkheads I think it isn't required to (for instance) seal the boot floor in a Caterham for speed events but it is necessary to seal the front bulkhead. This has certainly been the convention in hillclimbing, whereas you would expect to also seal the boot for racing.

I don't know how you reconcile 'compartment' with open car. Or having carburettors sticking through the bonnet with 'non-flammable bulkhead' etc. After all that's where the petrol is...

BTW it's pretty good having real life MSA officials on here. What events do you cover?

Paul

Edited by - Paul Ranson on 29 Nov 2004 23:07:22

I must admit that there sometimes has to be a fair bit of discretion applied when scrutineering cars. The sealing of "open" cars is often pretty impracticable as the cockpit is open to the elements and environment which often includes filler caps, vents, air intakes and other cars.

I live in Fife, Scotland (near Edinburgh for the foreigners) and cover most of the race meetings at Knockhill, Hillclimbs at Doune and a fair few Competitive Safaris and Hill Rallies for the Off-Road Clubs in Central Scotland.

The last couple of seasons have seen a lot more Caterhams being used up here with the Academy and Graduate racers running at Knockhill and Doune. At some point I'll try and squeeze my 6'1" , 90kgs frame into a Caterham, not to compete, but to run as a weekend fun car.

FYI you might like to have a look at my home site where there are a few of the Blue Book sections

here

Renny Thomson

MSA Scrutineer

Edited by - Renny on 30 Nov 2004 13:29:30

• 1 month later...