Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Suspension settings for ACB10s

simonpa

I'm switching from CR500s to ACB10s on my Superlight.

Can anyone tell me what the camber settings (rear ears and front wishbones) are for both the radial tyres and the ACB10s?

I've been told that the camber changes by .25 deg for each turn of the upper wishbone - do the panel agree?

Cheers,

Simon - 07973 955361 - simon.parker@sun.com

For the ACB10s you want 0.25 degrees -ve camber at the rear.

For CR500 you want 1.5 degrees -ve camber at the rear.

The de-dion ears determine the rear camber, and the value *should* be stamped on the ear somewhere. I say should, as I recently checked on a friend's car, and couldn't spot it.

Superlights come with the 0.25 ears as standard, so you may already have the right ears for ACB10s (though wrong for your current choice of CR500 tyre) already.

Cheers,

Jon

For ACB10's on 1.6 superlight :

Front =

Tracking 0deg20' +/- 10' (Toe in )

Camber 1deg20' +/- 15' ( Negative )

Castor 4deg0' +/-1deg (20' variation left-right )

Rear =

Tracking 0deg30' +/- 15' ( Toe in )

Camber 1deg30' +/-15' ( Negative )

Set to 75mm under dry sump ( lowest front point ) and rear 15mm higher (at edge of chassis in front of rear wheel )

Works for me

dave

Edited by - Dave J on 22 Aug 2001 21:19:03

I agree with Peter.

The .25 or .5 ears at the rear are fine (which type depends on your rear brake caliper type - Sierra or AP)

On the front, loads of castor removes much of the legendary ACB10 twitchiness, camber aound 1 degree neg.

Tracking on the front - I run 0.5mm toe out.

The above settings are for 7/21/13 fronts and 8/22/13 rears.

If you are using the 6 inch ACB's follow Peters example. His car is very well set up.

Fat Arn

See another FAT ARNIE here

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Si, I've been messing around with the front camber. V7 was set to whatever Caterham set it to, but I've started to wind off the camber, believing it excessive. Whilst it turns in well on a track, it is wearing the inner shoulders of the tyres very badly. I'm currently 1 turn off the original setting. It seems OK regards turn-in although it'll be a while before I know whether I've improved the wear rate. I could use a day at a track with a pyro gun. Also, I've not got a camber gauge so I've no idea what the actual measurement is. I aim to rectify this soon though.

I seem to remember an article in L/F "An interview with Jez coates"

He was talking about the SLR and ACB10's. As I remember he said something

along the lines of:-

Front settings.

Camber 0 to 0.25 degrees negative (any more than this will cause problems)??

Tracking 0 to a small amount of minutes toe out.

Can anybody check this in the mag as I have lost or lent mine (I can't find it).

I think that even 1 degree is to much for such a rigid crossply as the ACB10.

Many thanks for all your replies. I should have thought to mail Peter/Arnie firect ;-)

Arnie - which setting should be used with the Sierra calipers? This is what I have at the back.

I'm not sure which rear ears I have, as the car was bought as a SuperLight kit, but with the R500 wheel option. Caterham won't/can't give a definite answer on the ear sent, and I never thought to record the number on it.

I managed to talk to a chap in Caterham aftersales and he really tried to dissuade me from switching to ACB10s! Anyhow, I've got hold of set of 4 x 7" SLR wheels and ACB10s, which I'll try long term.

I've also got 3 set of rear (8") ACB10s now, so will use them on the original wheels when I finally wear the current CR500s out (8k miles so far including 3.5 trackdays)...

Then I may try slicks on the smaller wheels.

BTW - if anyone has some soft compound 7" ACB10s, I'd be interested as a pair of my rears are softs.

Cheers,

Si