Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

DeDion or Watts linkage

Wallbanger

I asked this question on the Se7en list, and Mike Bees reckoned that Peter C would have some views on the subject. However any comments gratefully received.

I am thinking of of changing my suspension from standard DeDion to Watts linkage. The car is currently a Caterham 1.4K race car, but is soon to be converted to a Blackbird (approx 170bhp). As this will entail a visit to Arch to add the new cross mounts for the engine, I *could* change to Watts linkage at the same time. Leaving aside the cost (which I haven't got yet), I'm trying to work out if it's worth it. I've asked around at the track and had everything from, "Yes, do it now", to "it'll only add a few tenths per lap, if that" (and frankly there's still a damn site more to be gained from my driving technique).

The pragmatic approach must be to go for it, if you can afford it. At least that way you get to experiment with it yourself, and if you don't like it, you can always revert the original. It's a very easy fit once the mountings have been installed.

Chelspeed welded his own mountings up, and thinks it's a positive move. He built a moving diagram out of hardboard and straight bits of wood which allowed him to describe the arc that both setups produce. The Watts setup has a lot less rear steering in-built, but whether it's any good depends on opinion. As Mike said, the race teams didn't like it. I do. Love it, in fact.