Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau questions

AndrewD

My new tonneau cover arrived from Caterham yesterday ...

1. There are no instructions, just a bag of studs, screws and rivets. Is there anywhere I can find out how to put it together? I'm new to Caterham ownership and was expecting, probably naively, even a single sheet of instructions for my 100 quid, just like Ikea in fact :-)

2. I've got FIA rollbar and leather seats (on an SLR) but the cover doesn't look like it will fit over the seats, do you have to take the head restraints off then?

Thanks for any help

Andrew

Do you have access to a copy of the Build manual? If I remember right there is a set of instuctions in there under the Options section. Basically it involves measuring from seams and fitting the rear poppers (do you have the bases fitted to the boot cover?) and then working forward keeping the tension as well as you can. I think you are meant to fit the front popper last and make it a little over-tight. It is also a good idea to take the wheel off so that with it back in place it increases the tension when you do the zip up.

Do you have the cut out required for the FIA Strut? It should have come with this if you told them you had one.

As for the headreast - yes, they have to come out everytime - a pain if you have the seats back agaist the rollbar, but better than a wet bum.

If you can wait I can e-mail you a scanned in image of the relevant pages - if i can find them, but will be tomorrow.

Phil Waters

The car in front must be less in control teeth.gif

Caterham will fax you the pages if you ring the factory.

Mine arrived without the poppers or the 'tool' which I had to buy separately, then I bought a new kit and now I've got 2...somehwere.

If the bases are not already in the rear of the car be ULTRA ULTRA careful when drilling them as a couple of the marked areas are very near to chassis members and it's easy to go a wandering with the drill.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Get the instructions BUT. you want a tight tonneau...

Heat the tonneau up. Leave in the sun or on a rad in winter until it is supple.

A fan heater on the seat playing upwards on low heat will help keep the tonneau soft while you fit it., esp in winter....

Start at the centre front two and then do the centre back two and work outwards evenly. stretch to a reasonable amount.

I use a bradle to locate the centre where the popper should go against the popper on the car and then a 4mm drill in a cordless drill to make the hole big enough to put the popper through.

Don't hit the poppers too hard, many small hits are better than a few hard ones (forgot to say you should have received a little popper tool, a convex bit to put under and a punch bit to hit). The plastic top splits if you clough them!

You may have the all metal type (if Caterham still do them) and they are tougher.

Good luck.