Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tonneau questions

AndrewD

My new tonneau cover arrived from Caterham yesterday ...

1. There are no instructions, just a bag of studs, screws and rivets. Is there anywhere I can find out how to put it together? I'm new to Caterham ownership and was expecting, probably naively, even a single sheet of instructions for my 100 quid, just like Ikea in fact :-)

2. I've got FIA rollbar and leather seats (on an SLR) but the cover doesn't look like it will fit over the seats, do you have to take the head restraints off then?

Thanks for any help

Andrew

Join the club Andrew, when I got my car the wife bought me a tonneau too. Same as you just a bag of studs etc.

It was just a question of weighing it up and having a couple of mates pulling cover into shape whist I took the drill to car.

You must take headrests off to fit, and the main problem I found was getting thing to fit over harness mounting bolts behind seats......it leaves huge gaps for rain to piss in. I decided the best way to combat this was to pack out between the bolts and mount cover to that........but I never did it.

I reckon if you have ordinary seat belts job will be a lot easier. After all that I've used it once only........at events when it's pouring I use the big brolly method, and tonneau as the picnic blanket!!!!!!

Kenny HPC

PS It's best to start off linig zip up with centre of car and doing the two studs either side of zip to dash board top.

Edited by - kenny on 22 Aug 2001 08:56:33

Me too - I bought an SL recently and I'm trying to source a tonneau without the steering wheel bulge (because it has a removeable wheel).

What I would like though is the one pictured at:

http://www.7gallery.co.uk (> Le Mans 2001, 4th picture down on the left)

as I'd like to leave my S-type headrests in place and this looks just the ticket (I notice you can get a tonneau with taylored pockets in to fit the Tillet R500 seats too which is nice).

Edited by - masha on 22 Aug 2001 09:33:43

Andrew, me too. I purchased a 2nd hand car from Caterham and asked them to supply a Tonneau, but when I got home there were no instructions and no bag of bits. I asked them why and they said that fitting it was a difficult job and best left to them. ( for the reasons stated in Davbo's reply in your other message on this subject.) I also had another problem becuase my car has special leather high back seats without removeable headrests and Caterham said they could not help with a Tonneau for these. I bought the plain tonneau and am getting Jill Judd of Cover-up (see ad in Low Flying) to add 2 pockets into the tonneau for the seats. I will then get Caterham to fit the tonneau to the car.

That last post amuses me!

Lets get this right:

- you got the car from Caterhams and asked them to supply a tonneau with it.

- they supplied a tonneau that didn't fit, and wouldn't fit without sending it to an independant trimmer.

- they supplied it unfitted with no instructions and told you that it would be best to bring the car to them to fit it...

Is that right??

That level of customer care rates alongside the Ferrari salesman, who, faced with an irate customer stuck in the rain with a new car with broken windshield wipers advised the customer not to drive the car in the rain because 'it will go rusty within weeks'.

or maybe I have misunderstood...

Jonathan

JonathonG,

Caterham said that they did not do a tonneau to fit the car becuase of the special seats, so it was either a choice of no tonneau or get it modified by someone else.

As I said they recommended that they put the studs etc on the car, they didn't refuse to send me the studs, just said I would find it easier for them to do it.

I have now purchased a seconhand Tonneau for my carsmile.gif

My car has a short cockpitsmile.gif

The tonneau is for along cockpitsad.gif

Can anyone recommend....a trimmer in the Hampshire area who will be able to make it fit, and fit itsmile.gif

Just a thought

Steve

cool.gifScream...if you want to go faster!!!id=limegreen> cool.gif