Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level Brake Light Kit

andycox

Looking at the Caterham Online parts store there is a new High Level Brake Light Kit anyone got one? or better still a picture. Trying to figure out how it fits to the car as it looks like it uses the spare wheel carrier in some way.

Driving on the left side 😬

I fitted one that came from CPC supplies (my initials, but sadly not my Co.) and cost less than a tenner. Fitted it on the underside of the roll bar so if I had need to fit the hood (as in fact in is at present 'cos its sat outside in the rain), then no problems. Easy to wire into brake electricla circuit (as live and earth only required) and I now have a multiple row of high intensity L.E.D.'s in a smart case at the highest point of the car.

How much is the Caterham one?

Hiding the wires was pretty easy. Even better if you have a black roll bar as opposed to my heated towel rail chrome version! The wiring from the unit is black and quite thin, but there is more than enough to take it from the side of the unit along underneath the roll bar for about 75mm and then down the rear angled strut again underneath. I had to use chrome tape as use in the heating industry but on a black bar it would be so easy to use a turn and a half of black PVC tape and make it almost invisible. The wiring was lead into the section between the fuel tank and then inner wing and the circuit loom joined there along with the earth.

I also used tape to hold the light block on in the first place. The hardest part (hardly!) was shaping the light blocks plastic end caps with a sharp knife to match the profile of the outside diameter of the rollbar. It's not a must do, but I liked it neater.

Took about half an hour total.

Wight Skipper YHM

Chris. How visible is your unit when you have the roof up. Seems that it might be obscured in conditions you most need it visible. It could also be quite unusual at night with the top up, a brake operated interior light *confused*.

Andy.

The top/lid/hood ONLY gets fitted as in storage outside. It just doesn't get fitted when its raining 'cos it ain't no fun being 6' 3" tall in a std long cockpit '93 Seven and takes so f'in long to fit anyway. That's why pictures of my car in Low Flying (oct '04 page 17, lower left) show an additional high level green rain deflector so my forehead doesn't suffer water droplet hammering !!!

Petrolhead.

Interesting device.

I read that after five seconds the lights start to flash. Didn't think that was legal?

Edited by - CHRIS CLARK on 18 Nov 2004 11:55:54

My solution is here using a Ring 'universal' HLBL - about £15 IIRC from Motorworld-type places (strangely, £32 from Halfrauds - go figure!)

OK, it is *not* the tidiest solution - it is zip-tied to the roll-bar (as is the wire) - but it *is* intense, and *is* truly 'high-level' and many people who have followed me on blats etc. have been quite impressed with its efficiency.

Someone is bound to mention the wireless solutions - but I personally don't rate them due to issues surrounding the fact that they are (necessarily) battery-powered.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Andy,

I used one of these on my Fury rollbar....

http://www.performancemotorcycleparts.com/index.htm?content=http%3A//www.performancemotorcycleparts.com/lighting_pages/clear_lazer_led_brake_tail_bulbs.htm

The 6 inch long one in black merges perfectly with the black powder coated rollbar. The rollbar tubing is thick enough to drill and tap a thread and then the fiddly bit is pulling the cable through the rollbar tubing.

Looks good though 😬

Works superbly, really makes your tiny car more visible to other road users 😬 😬

Riggsbie

Chris. 6'3" me too, I am not a big user of the hood either. Although I am condering lowering the floor to get around exposed forehead.

riggsbie. I am not sure about drilling into the roll bar though seems to me that this could comprimise the structure.

Now we know why CC need a marketing person.

Andy