Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

calling Peter Carmichael

timbo

I was talking to JJ about the time taken to gain oil pressure with an apollo fitted after car has sat. JJ mentioned something about a none return valve. Can you advise.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm and 182bhp @ 6690rpm

A non-return or check valve will require a pressure to crack open and will tend to be less effective in the release of air form the bleed line however,it will tend to resist the apollo tank draining down when not in use.

Kind of defeats the object of the installation in the first place if you are going to render it less effective at separating the air from the oil though.

Use a filter with an anti drain valve in and the oil pressure comes up within a second. There is always a finite delay in achieving oil pressure anyway so don't worry too much about it.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

I fitted one and, together with the Appolo tank, it works very well on track.

In fact what goes through the small pipe is really oil loaded with air bubles rather than just air, and given the calibrated hole I figure that the pressure is rather high and therefore not impeded by the one way valve.

My 20 psi warning light switches off almost immediately when cranking the engine although the original oil pressure sender is used.

I got mine from Think Automotive tel 020 8568 1172 ,

Fax 020 8847 5338,

email accounts@thinkauto.co.uk,

www.thinkauto.co.uk

- One way valve flap -4 JIC, ref CVF7-4 @ 35,79 £ + vat

- you will ned 2 of these -4 JIC FML straight for -3TFE , ref HETF7- 4 - 3, @ 10 £ each + vat

Pierre

Thanks for the input guys... after reading the posts I have concluded to omit the bypass valve for the moment and continue to use the mems immobilisation system to pre-crank eng without ignition.

Timbo.

You do what you like, but I'll stick with my in-line valve which is the larger flap valve type (unlike Peter C's small sprungloaded ball bearing type) and has almost nil restriction. Not at all keen on the idea of dragging fuel etc into a 'dead' engine.

Still, your choice!!!

I was under the impression that on the M3Dk and mems immobiliser the immobiliser acted both as a fuel and ignition cutoff? Must try this with one of the injectors out! If that's the case I'll be definetly going with the valve in the oil line as washing the bores is not a good practice by any means.

valve for the moment and continue to use the mems immobilisation system to pre-crank eng without ignition.

Pretty pointless to do that. Unless you take your sparkplugs out the loads on the bearings cranking vs. idling are about the same. I wouldn't bother - just start and wait for the equisite number of seconds.

Chris has got a good point that a flap valve is ideal for the job.

Pierre.... how did you get those prices?

I've just been quoted £83.25 + vat for the flap (7-4)

and £14.61 + vat each for the connectors

+ delivery

At that rate a dry sump would have been cheaper considering the appollo was £200.