Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Everything for 2005 Academy on a budget

Andiih

If your trying to do all that on the cheap, I have a couple of suggestions.

I don't race but do track days so need much of the similar clobber.

My tow car is a peugeot 306 d-turbo that I have fitted slightly bigger rubber to for a bit more stability when towing. I bough it for £800 and it is superb. I feel like I am killing it when it tows up big hills but it just keeps going. Tows on the flat up to 80mph and rarely dips under 60mph up hills.

The trailer is a Brian James clubman. Pretty sure it is the same size as a minno and is certainly up to the job. They start at £899 + Vat rather than £1500 for a minno. You can add options later for the same price too so no need to go mad to start with.

So anyway, my trailer and tow car stand me at less than £2k and they are well up to the job. Hope this helps a little.

Good luck

Rich

Andy - you should get the timing strut included with the car.

Other T's to look out for:

Transponder (You'll need this for the races. £200 from MST. Keep an eye out for second hand ones)

Tyres (if you see a set of scrubbed CR322's going cheap, then might be worth going for them!)

Tons of Lead (ahem. If you weigh under 100Kg,s, you'll need this for ballast to get to min weight. I've got some, and am in Surrey, so drop me an email if you want it: £15 for the lot)

oh, and

Talent ( I skimped on this 😬)

Sure there's more, but that will get you going. Good luck!

Chris (academy 04)

Timing strut is a bit of metal which you bolt onto the front grill for the sprints. This gives a defined edge to break the timing beams at the start/finish. Dodgy picture of one here

Transponder is a little red box which you attach to the steering rack and identifies the car at races for timing purposes. Caterham don't tell you that you need it until mid-way through the season. You don't need it for the sprints.

Hi

Presumably not on the new "Superlight" style alloys that the Academy cars now run ? I will probably take you up on the set tho'!

I am stupidly busy over the next couple of weeks so wont be able to collect in a rush.

Andy

Keeping with the 'T' theme - keep your eyes open for a Thicker and a Thinner spare front anti roll bar. You'll get one with the car, but will need the other two!

Now is a good time to keep your eyes open as people switch to wide track in winter upgrades...

Keep your eye on the For Sale section on the Grads website here

G 4 Geoff

Leather Good - Carbon Fibre Bad

619 GTD here

Hi,

if your interested in a trailer, i maybe interested in selling,

Minno trailer, with box, heavy duty jock wheel, ramps (useful :)) , rear stands etc...

tows brilliantly, only drawback is you tend to forget its on the back sometimes :)

4 years old, but only uses for 3 seasons racing

Another thought - you can save a lot by not overspeccing the car. Don't buy seats, weather equipment and all that kind of stuff. Find a gathering of previous years Academy cars and check how many have got the original seats etc still fitted. A tonneau cover is perfectly adequate if you are towing to an event - I've never had, nor missed full weather gear.

If you need a seat, then for under £100 you can get one here: here

G 4 Geoff

619 GTD here

I saw those seats - I had already specificed one from Caterham, so its probably a bit late to chop and change now, but I will consider this as a possibility for the second...(original plan was to move the seat to passenger seat and get a race seat made)

As for weather equipment - I did go for that too - I hope I will use the car some outside of the racing - my MGBT which I ran for 10 years was impractical, the heater did not work, and it leaked - so I should feel right at home :-)

Andy

Andiih

Surely not too late to change your order for a seat! Caterham will have 'em stacked up and won't really care! You will find that you don't want a passenger seat, you need the space to fit the lead ballast (unless you over 13 stone odd!) *wink*

I thought I'd use mine outside of racing too...! So do other people, so when they change their mind the stuff comes up for sale! Building the car yourself?

G 4 Geoff

619 GTD here