Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Underbody paint

Ozzy

Some of the tubular sections underneath could do with a bit of tidying up. Presumibly smooth hammerite is ok once I've rubbed it back, and which finish matches best. Is it Matt or Satin black.

Thanks in anticipation.

Oz

Still Shaking.

Nah, ditch hammerite.

POR15 is the stuff (do a search in techtalk). It is (allegedly) much more chip-resistant than hammerite, but is more expensive, harder to source (mail-order basically) and is not UV-stable (not an issue under the car).

It has certainly worked very well on the leading edge of my side-impact bar (gets peppered by stones etc. from the front wheel - hence the need to touch up where the powder-coat has been peened off).

The only word of warning relates to getting the stuff on anything you don't want it to (IYSWIM) - if it dries on your skin, it takes a reassuringly long time for it to wear off.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Darren,

A little goes a long way. A small tin from Frosts would almost certainly do. The instructions suggest decant a little from the tin and reseal the tin quickly. I always seem to over judge how much I need and have plenty left over.

I also bought the expensive solvent as a brush cleaner, to be honest I would save the money and use a cheap brush and throw away.

Do use gloves though. The stuff sticks to everything.

Good luck, Peter

Edited by - Pelico on 17 Nov 2004 09:41:10

Yup - I always seem to decant too much and end up hunting around the garden/shed for rusty things to paint black...

I go the throwaway-brush route - and also bought a stack of disposable plastic glasses to hold the stuff in whilst working (oh! and plastic spoons for stirring/decanting...)

Skin - talking of which...

...less than perfectly ideal (but it was to hand...) I sprayed my hands with WD40 (sharpish) last time I got some POR on myself and rubbed it in - then finished off with Swarfega/whatever. You could do a lot worse.

While doing the rear 'A' frame etc in POR 15 last time (only time!) I accidently got some on the rear, angled ali bulkhead. Knowing what a pain it is to get off, I painted a bit more to get the rest off the brush and 'tidy it up' having not prepped the ali at all. I supposed it would come straight off in the first puddle but it has been there two years + and shows no singns of flaking, or doing anything other than protecting the lower bulkhead section.

As an aside, I cleaned up the radius arms and did an experiment with properly applied Hammerite Smooth and did the other in POR 15. One is now going rusty again while the other looks basically brand new. Care to guess which is which?

• Support Team

You use POR15 on the bare metal/rust. If the area is likley to be exposed to sunlight(UV) much then paint over with Chassis Coat - also available from Frosts - or a paint of your choice. This is because POR15 discolours with exposure to UV.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

They do recommend using a degreaser if the metal is likely to be contaminated or is not actually rusty - but they do warn that some degreasers can leave a (paraffin based?) film that POR15 won't like.

Personally, I've just given any metal I want to POR15 a light rub with wire-wool (or whatever) to remove any loose rust/metal/crud and paint away...

Top Tip 😬

after you ahve painted the chassis tubes and they have hardend . Place strips of 1" satin black electrical tap along each of the leading faces of the tubes on the front wishbones and rear suspension . This dramatically reduces stone chips and hence reduces corrosion *thumbup*

Replace the tape every 2 years *smile*

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*