Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace dry sump kit update

TorAtle

(also posted to the sevens list)

I've spoken to Neil at Pace today.

They would like to make a DS kit for the K-series engine but as he said they have plenty to do so they don't *have* to do it. For it to happen they will need some help from us (are you surprised Mike?? :-). We will have to react quickly or else we will run out of time (his words).

The system will be based on a 3 stage Slim Jim pump. The biggest problem is where to mount it. They have acquired a K block since I last had contact with them so know there is a shortage of treaded bosses on the inlet side of the engine. A solution would be to design the sump with a couple of additional bosses and mount the pump somewhere in between (as low as possible ideally).

I mentioned that the engine is canted over in a Caterham and asked how this would affect sump design. I said about 11-12 degrees, is this correct?? Anyway it shouldn't prove too much of a problem given that the engine isn't canted over more, and it sounded like they wanted to make a sump that could be used both in Caterhams and say an Elise.

It would be useful to have detailed pictures of how the inlet side of the engine looks on a RHD Caterham. Also some pictures of the front side of the engine (without the cam drive belt cover) and the sump showing the amount of canting and ground clearance. A picture of how the Caterham DS pan looks like wouldn't hurt.

They have access to a SuperlightR which they will use once they have a good idea of where to mount the pump.

Anyone with a digital camera? I don't think pictures of my installation would be much of a help..

Tor Atle

PS this is what we get (quote):

cast ally sump pan

3st oil pump

poss mounting bracket ( maybe able to mount the pump on the sump )

oil pump pulley

crank pulley

drive belt

maybe oil in to engine adaptor.

Forgot about your other engine - even better!

Tor Atle

PS if you find a good spot for a 6.5x6.5x18cm 'block' (that would be the pump) let me know. Oil inlets/outputs on the top/bottom and a rotor with approx 8cm diameter pulley on the end...