Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Older caterham front coil over shocks

Monkeydub

I am after some a front pair of low mileage,good condition coil-over shocks preferably fully adjustable but will consider anything. They are for my lowered 1973 VW Baywindow campervan and i have it on good authority that these are the shocks for me. I've been told i need 'old caterham shocks as they changed the suspension length at some point in the past'. Any info would be great.

Thanks, Rory

Monkeydub.

You will have been talking to Mark Naumann then We fitted my old bilsteins to his bay. I may have a set of spax adjustables sitting at home that I fitted in place of the Bilsteins when I upgraded. If Mark doesn't want them they're available!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Angus.

The Original Bilsteins off my 94 Seven fitted straight on and lowered the van quite nicely! Admittedly Marks van has the Torsion bar virtually removed. But they seem to work much better than the usual damper/ torsion bar on a camper.

If you've still got the old dampers it's well worth a try! But it will lower the van! and you will possibly need to do some work to the torsion bar!

Dannyboy *tongue*

You do need to check that they will fit with your van dropped so low.

I think, the shortest you can realistically take the Bilsteins is around 280-290mm without running them on the bump stops! That is between the mounting bolts.

However, you can buy shocks of varying length and tailor them to suit, it's just a bit more expensive than buying an old Caterham one!

Dannyboy *tongue*

260mm....yep! They'd be too long!

The absolute shortest they will sit at is around 280mm. And no, we haven't fitted them yet mate!

It's well worth looking at a Demon Tweeks catalogue. Lots of shocks/ damper options of varying lenghts. You know what the length you are looking for is now, just need to work out the spring rates and away you go.

Dannyboy *tongue*