Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted-Michelin Pileups

Paul McKenzie

I tested the Michelin Pileups on the 16" wheels at the Alford test track. A test brought on by some lively sideways excursions in the wet around the roundabouts of Aberdeen. (have re-located since then).

I set them at 20 psi as Caterham recommend 18psi and most people add a psi or two for 'energetic' driving. The car was all over the place.

So i set them at 22 psi. Like driving on ice !!!

OK then...... 18 psi, better but still not gripping very well and there was no gentle break away the car just went when it felt like it, not predictable at all.

Right then, I thought, 16 psi. Car was cornering quite a bit harder. Lap times came down, but the car would snap sideways quite violently when pushed hard.

Mmmmmmmm! well, why not try 14 psi (!!). Wow !car gripped and broke away gently enough to drift through the corners with no sudden snap. Oooo that did feel good ! All that 'drifting the car on the throttle' stuff Tiff Needel rants on about suddenly came into sharp focus.

12 psi ---- Oh Oh ! it all started to feel a bit sponge-like and vauge.

So I ran them at 14 psi (on my tyre pressure gauge) ever after.

Worked a treat, and yes, I know that seems awfully low and the less brave (more sensible ??) will worry about loosing a tyre off the rim, but it worked for me.

What more can I say ?

Regards

Rowland

Rowland,

I'd concur with your 14 psi optimum..actually CC used to recommend 16 psi (but maybe they've changed) and I have run two sets at 16 psi....I know bloody masochist...but recently before changing the rears again I noticed that at 16 psi they were definitely showing more wear in towards the middle of the tread i.e. overinflated, so I too have concluded that 14 psi is optimum although I came to it by a different route to you

Paul