Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension

luddites7

I have been looking at Jasons ex R500 adjustable Shocks and Race springs, and was wondering if anybody could help with the following question - will these fit on a std 96 K series (I don't believe I have widetrack)and if so how easy will the swap over be?

I have looked at the spec on caterham web-site and the only difference seems to be widetrack is std on R500 hence will this effect the front swap over and the rear mentions a watts linkage which doesn't appear to be on the std 1600 Kseries. Again how will this effect the addition of adjustable platforms.

Any help / advice would be very much appreciated.

The change for widetrack is effected by a spacer which can be removed. The mounting point at the rear is the same, depending on the age of the car.

There have been at least two specs of de Dion tube so you will need to know you have the later one. You can check that your de Dion tube has the attachment points for the dampers with the tubes welded to the underside of the de Dion. With this you should be OK.

Peter, what exactly am I looking for on the rear suspension, are there any pictures or diagrams available, all I know at present is my car was built beginning of 96.

I will have a good look tonight to see if it will work.

Many Thanks

Jason

What you need to look at is where the spring/damper unit attaches to the De Dion tube. On pre-96 cars it attaches with a long bolt which passes through the tube and has a nut on the other side. On post-96 cars it attaches using a bolt into a boss which is welded onto the underside of the De Dion tube (ugh), there is no nut.

Mike

Does anyone know why this was done? Having a threaded boss in the de Dion tube sounds like one further component compexity - (one more bit to get messed up or mangled). Is it still a half-inch bolt in single shear?

Mike - will you be competing at Prescott again (Sept 2nd) - I'm trying to drum up a crowd to go along (Surrey and London mostly) and have suggested you and Graeme Wight Jnr as two of the big attractions - wouldn't want to be misleading anyone...

my spelling's getting bad... hence...:

Edited by - tony pashley on 21 Aug 2001 15:24:17

The changee to the tube was in order to fit the new progressive spring which is longer than the previous spec item in order to allow three rates to be used along its length. the new damper is also a longer item so the lower mount has to be further away from the top mount. Why welded on? I expect it was the most cost effective option. you can't lower the whole dedion tube without it fouling the longitudinal members on the chassis.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs