Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radtec rad leaking

caterhamnut

Looks like I have some small leaks at either end of one of the coolant runs (right phrase?) near the top of my Radtech ali radiator - pink coolant leaking out from both sides - can this be fixed, and what could have caused the leak - I have some concerns regarding slight pressure in the system, and a few other leaks, which I guess could be letting air in? Car running fine - slightly cool sometimes, but I guess it is a lot cooler outside now.

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

Angus, do you think there is a crack/cracks in the radiator? It looks like its of a completely welded construction.

I have one of the caterham ali radiators, which has a compression fit or a clamp fit top and bottom. It developed a leak along one of these seams and it was a simple matter to use a pair of large pliers to crimp it down so it stopped leaking. Do you have any seams that are not welded?

Could it be coming from a hose and running to where you see it?

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics and webcam here: here

Hi Angus,

I bought one of the radtech rads as part of the bulkbuy at the beginning of the year. By the sounds of it, mine has also developed the same problem as yours (I think). I was prepared to leave it but I wonder if any other buyers have a similar problem as well?

Mines not a crimping problem (ooh err), the rad has actually cracked and is weeping on the engine side.

Ben

Angus. You may remember I was looking for a leak near the front end which was splashing onto engine. Anyway, I got home today and found it. I have a small hole in the top of the rad, and the coolant runs along the seam and gets blown over the engine. Today I ordered a new rad from CC, which is apparently now made of ali (mine is black) seems expensive £150 ish plus vat. Anyhow, question. What's a radtech rad, and are they cheaper than CC.

Still Shaking.

Radtec just a manufactures name for an ali radiator - slightly thicker than the Caterham one ISTR (not the race one)

Yes, it was more expensive than the one you have just got from Caterham,(can't remember exactly but about £250 without teh bulk buy) but it is a slightly higher spec. I think you have ordered a replacement for the standard caterham radiator, which used to be from a polo I think, but I think that all standard ones are now ali from caterham - anyone know if that is true?

Anyway - pics of our radiator on the website - usual place - tech section etc etc *thumbup*

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

• 1 year later...

I think mine has developed the same problem. I thought it was the top hose leaking but having tightened it and cleaned around the hose I`m still geting the pink gink but not close to the hose. It appears to be coming form the fins where they join the main body of the rad........I`ve also noted it on both sides now as well.

Was yours repairable Angus?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Blimey - had not realised this was so long ago!!!

uummm - [guilty look] - not actually sorted this just yet!! I did pop some radweld in ages ago - I still get the odd seep near the top, but its not that bad. I will get it fixed soon though - honest!! 😳 😬

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I had this problem 12 months ago. Sent it back to Radtec who said it was beyond repair and I would have to buy a new one.They said this was a one off problem but would only charge me cost price for a replacement. It was about 15 months old. The cause of failure they said was that the whole of the core ( which they don't manufacture) had somehow failed !! It had only done about 4000 miles with no track days. Replacement seems to be OK so far .

Should people really be having to get virtually new Radtech radiators repaired and/or replaced so soon after buying them?

My original CC alloy radiator survived over 3 years/10,000 miles and dozens of trackdays till I punctured a hole in it during a little accident on an airfield.

Edited by - knowley on 13 Jul 2006 19:19:58

Not sure mines from the same batch. Was it a couple of years ago.

I don't have a leak but I do run hotter since fitting it. I think its because of the reduction in capacity so, when I 've got some money, I was thinking of fitting an ali header tank. Top hose in and out other side.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Norman

Don't understand why you car is running hotter now.

Is it significantly above the fully open temp for the thermostat, when the car is moving.

If it, is I would suggest your Rad is not up to the task.

Surely the purpose of a thermostat is to control flow through you radiator to maintain a relatively stable temp. This should only be exceded when stationary. and thats when the fan comes on.

Am I missing something?

Malcolm