Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 K Supersport service intervals.....plugs, oil etc?

masha

I've recently acquired a 1.6 Superlight which is in Supersport engine guise....

What I would like to know is:

a) recommended service interval for general road use

b) plug gaps

c) best oil (what is Mobil1 like in these cars, suitable?)

d) anyone that knows the full original engine spec. of the superlight factory cars

thanks

Matthew

6000 road miles is a sensible interval. Mobil 1 0W40 is fine although any good synthetic in the 0W40 to 10W40 will be fine. This isn't a hugely stressed engine.

Engine spec is standard Rover with a Supersport cams, and a changed ECU. The Superlight is fitted with a light flywheel. Power claims have varied from 138bhp down to 133bhp with no explanation given for the difference.

I have just had my 1600 Superlight serviced for the first time.

It had 4,000 miles on the clock, and was 12months old.

The Caterham interval is 6,000 OR 12 months.

If the car sees track day use a check up every 3,000 is recommended.

The SL1600 had a std 1600 SS K series unit installed but as mentioned has a light fly.

Simon.

X777CAT

Any modern synth oil is as good as another. I use Mobil 1 15-50 and I think I'm silly for doing so, especially as I change it every 2000 miles. It's bloody expensive, but I don't care.

Plug gaps should be left as you buy them. They're set at manufacturing nowadays and are packaged so that they won't close up when the package is dropped. Modern electronic ignition ensures they don't wear out either. Mine had done 12K miles when I recently had them out, and couldn't really tell much difference between them and brand new ones. It is possible that heat from the engine could cause them to break down, but you'd notice that when your engine starts to run badly or won't start.... which is why I swapped mine for news ones. My engine was running badly, but that was caused by the MEMS packing up.