Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front suspension spit & polish

Sam Monoogian

I,ve just had various bits and pieces at the rear of the Caterham powder coated, but would recommend you paint the front wishbones and suspension bits with Hammerite smooth paint if you want a long lasting finish. Powder coating is good initially but on these potentially high impact areas will degrade quite quickly.

.... you can forget using Hammerite Smooth on any suspension pieces. It chips far too easily, in fact it's nothing like as tough as traditional hammerite, an certainly not a patch on Powder coating.

Go with Arnie's advice. Anything else will soon look like what it is - a cheap job..

Sam,

There is a place near me on the Surrey/Sussex border at Hobbs Industrial Estate between Felbridge and Newchapel on the A22 who are really good, reasonably quick and reasonably priced.....

Foremost Coatings

Unit 40 Hobbs Ind Est

01342 833455

Ask for Dave and tell him Arnie sent you!

Fat Arn

See another FAT ARNIE here

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

I've had good experience with the following company down in Brighton (Hove, actually).

They sand-blasted clean and re-coated a FIA roll bar plus two cycle wing brackets, doing an A1 job for £70.

They've withstood a season of Sprints/Hills with no chips breaching the coating (including a notoriously gritty airfield day!).

Brighton Powder Coating Ltd

Unit C, Cambridge Grove,

Hove

East Sussex

Call Joe Plant (Plant Manager, I kid you not...) on 01273 772789

I was charged £150 for all the front and rear suspension, front and rear hubs, brake discs (the edges!!!) etc.

This is pretty good value, and does not flake off so long as its blasted and degreased. Phosphating is an additional precaution, but a bit overkill - does stop it rusting if it does chip though.

Fat Arn

See another FAT ARNIE here

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here