Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which Exhaust System for the Duratec

Rob Walker

With 4:2:1 offerings from Raceline at £650 and Minister £985 both plus the dreaded vat anyone know what are the pros and cons of each system, of particular interest is problems with engine bay diagonals. The engine is the 2.3 and going into a new Caterham standard chassis duratec spec.

The minister system which goes over the chassis rail requires for the diagonal to be removable.

Raceline do two mnifolds, one that drops down before the diaginal and one which comes over the top like the Minister one. Neither of these require the engine bay diagonal to be removable. The raceline manifolds are a slightly smaller bore than the minister one.

I`m using Raceline cause it`s cheaper and I`ve managed to source a second hand Raceline silencer with built in cat. I`m going to get their manifold which goes over the top of the diagonal as I think it looks better.

Both Raceline and Minister have been working with engines long enough to know about exhaust so I`m sure thay are sorted from a technical point of view. I think they are all made by Cheesemans anyway.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

Edited by - simonbell on 9 Nov 2004 18:48:23

Rob

It depends on the type of oil system and where you are going to put the alternator. The Duratec chassis should come with the removable right hand diagonal which has an offset in it. This can be reversed so it will fit most exhaust systems. The standard Raceline exhast cannot be used with the Titan or Pace dry sumps.

If you need any more info give me a ring.

Mick

Mic,

Raceline now do a 2nd option which is effectively the up and over minister style exhaust which allows you to mount the alternator on the RHS (using your excellent alternator bracket *thumbup*) - they will also do it in a bigger bore as well as provide a repackable silencer (this is the configuration Raceline (Cheesemans) are making for me this week).

Oh and yes the Caterham 'Duratec' chassis should have the removable RHS chassis diagonal.

cheers,

Mike.

R400 Duratec 230bhp *cool* Build Pictures here