Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo replacement.

Jeff

My standard VDO mechanical speedo has quit working. It has leaked oil from the gearbox seal which I understand is common. I would like to replace the mechanical speedo with a VDO electronic unit which would read off the propshaft. Any solutions or suggestions on how to plug the old mechanical speedo hole without removing the engine?

Jeff

There is a kit for doing just this. I think CC stock it & of course Phil Stewart at Road & Race. If you've got very bendy fingers you may be able to do it in situ, otherwise you need to drill a small hole in the side of the tunnell (cover with a bung after) to extract the drive from the gearbox.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/ sell the speedo.

Mine reads off the front wheel hub which I would think would be an easier way to do it rather than trying to fix up a holder for the sensor by the propshaft. Again CC have a bracket for fixing the sensor.

Edited by - Mick Day on 9 Nov 2004 14:33:42

I went the Speedy Cable route (01639 732213 - ask for Andy) and using a sensor reading off from the prop shaft four flange bolts, as I wanted to keep away from the muck etc that one associates with front wheels.

It was all amazing simple to fit and to calibrate the speedo.

They have a range of standard faces but will also create dials that fit your own requirements.

They have a web site but I do not have the details to hand.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine