Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series oil pump tolerances

Dave McCulloch

In the continued strip-down of my k series, I removed and dismantled the oil pump tonight. No signs of wear, rotates freely and all measurements were within tolerance except the rotor tip clearance - tolerance is 0.05 - 0.13mm, but mine measured 0.18mm. Is this too far out of spec, and hence should I be replacing it? It came out of an engine that has supposedly done about 27k miles.

If it needs replacing, should I replace it with the same - I seem to remember some people have used oil pumps from 220 turbos as they are the same fitting but higher flow. I'd have thought the higher flow wasn't required assuming the engine tolerances are right?

Thanks

Dave

When I rebuilt my engine last year I also completely took the oil pump apart to check etc but I also flowed the oil holes and generally removed all sharp angles from the oil holes as per DVA site, took about 1hr with a fine file and finish off with wet n dry. How much difference it makes I don't know but as it was apart seemed sensible to do it. FWIW I get about 3.8 - 4bar oil pressure when hot with an appollo on a 1.6K.

Phil S7SVN