Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will a Shedder be able to help me take my engine out?

TomB

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not, nor have not, nor will not, nor cannot take an engine out of anything other than my remote control car, which I did do but in doing so did bend a bit of it so that it will not got back into the place from which it originally was, based on this premis, that I can not, will not and did not take the engine out of any of my cars neither now in the future or indeed in the past, i shall not be the one who helps tom to remove his engine from his car, I did however procure a lightweight K series engine from the local scrapyard and did, both in the past and the very far past, strip off all the ancillary junk that was attatched to it and then either threw those bits away or handily lost them, after I had done these things, in the past or very far past I then gave the top part of the engine to mav and the bottom part of the engine to Tom, the latter was acheived in the past but later than the former was completed, both receiving parties were less than impressed when they found that the balanced 3 litre K series I had given them, handily dissambled in the past before I passed it over, was in fact a 1 litre knackered piece of metal which was attractivley carved with a chisel and polished in places where it shouldn't have been.

I dont know anyone with a baseball bat either ☹️

nverona, steady on soldier. Although I have the energy of a springer spaniel, I have about as much idea of a car engine as one too. *confused* 😳

Now if he fancies swapping out that lump entirely and popping a little bike engine in there (the whole process taking a few months) then I might fancy the challange.

But, I reckon that, unless Tom becomes 'handy Bob the mechanic', he'll be at your place at about 8:30 on Saturday... *wink*

...if he can't make it under his own steam, I'll drag him over on a trailer! *eek* *thumbup*

And his car too! 😬 *tongue*

Edited by - Badger Bill on 10 Nov 2004 12:08:57

Norman, thanks for your kind offer, which is very tempting!

I may have provisionally sorted a crane out & today I ordered flywheel bolts & a CRB.

I havn't ordered any clutch bits as I wanted to see whether the friction plate needed changing before ordering. Unless Im mistaken, its only the clutch plate that wears & may need changing. I could always order one & if I dont use it, send it back.

Probably best if we have a chat? Ive sent you my number by Blatmail

Cheers

Tom

*thumbup*

Tom,

Let me know sharpish if you want my crane and stand (it's mav's stand but I'm sure he won't miss it for a couple of weeks) because I'm away from Saturday until the end of next week.

Buda,

What sort of engine crane did you use to haul the engine out of the RC car, causing such damage? 😬

Andy

Tom, I'll ring when it arrives.

If your taking the engine out then change the center plate at least. I would also change the crb.

When you consider the time taken (at the pace I work with all the cleaning a fettleing) It'll probably take 8 hours so it makes it worth changing c/plate and crb!

Mind you, if you haven't got the bits now your pushing it for this Saturday.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

mahatma

The engine was blowing oil out of a split exhaust gasket, after trying to procure a new gasket I was reliably informed that they all do that sir and that I should try loctite, so I carefully reversed the car on to my engine stands which, being made of nowt more substantial than matchsticks promptly collapsed traping my leg quite nastily, about half an hour later the fire brigade finally turned up to release me (well actually I have a feeling that they arrived about 5 minutes after my call but my wife and daughter probably waylayed them in transit), I decided I needed to take the engine out and so proceded to undo some of the bolts, a tricky buisness as they where locknuts, after the engine was partially released I fabricated a crane out of a piece of technical lego and a cotton real (with cotton attatched) the hook was made from a paper clip (large hefty one) and, to eases the effort, a twin pulley arrangement was made up from two buttons, as I began to lift the engine I could feel some resistance, so to aid the process stood on the chassis plate, the combination of my weight and the resistance caused by not undoing one of the bolts (duh - didn't see it, it was dayglo purple, cammoflaged against the polished ali of the chassis plate) I got a nasty bend in the chassis, its never been the same since, I made a replacement with cardboard but it just goes soggy and the handling goes to pot when it rains

I did fix the exhaust with araldite though 😬, stuck my fingers to my leg as well ☹️

Norman, Im going to call Questmead first thing tomorrow & see about costs for the friction plate. I think even if I cant get one sorted in time, Ill still come over on Saturday.

I wouldnt even be thinking of working on the clutch if I wasnt doing the F/W, as there is no reason, its all working!!

If we did the work Sunday, maybe Mav could come over too, or isnt Sunday good for you?

*thumbup*

Edited by - TomB on 10 Nov 2004 23:33:38

Tom, the reason the clutch should be changed is not a case of it working or not it's a case of how far the friction lining has worn and how much weaker the diaphragm has become. If it was a simple job to change, not requiring a major engine removal, you wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen clutches work ok when the linings worn down past the rivets and the rivets are scoring grooves in the flywheel and pressure plate. Also pressure plates which are 1/2" shorter due to loss of spring tension still work on normal duty. Not saying yours is anything like this but if you're taking the engine out you should replace clutch as a matter of course.

However, if your planning on removing engine next year anyway it''s not that important.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here