Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

"60K service on Mercedes SLK"

jackb_ms

Hello

I'm calling on the blatchat technical knowledge

My girl friend's SLK 230 compressor is due for it's 60k service.

What needs to be done at 60k? Cambelt,...?

As someone had his car serviced at the dealer in Oxford? any good or bad feedback?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

I'm not defending any dealers but if you saw what the manufacturers make them do you'd understand the £100 per hour charges. I used to run workshops on a 4-1 ratio (4 techs to 1 admin) but now some dealers have more admin then techs. Also with the amount of training they are forced into (one of my customers has one tech away at all times) you'd think they would be able to do a decent job. Most people I talk to complain more about the dealer than the car.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

230K SLK's require servicing every 9000 miles, with the oil being changed at 18000 intervals. The maintainance book gives no indication of cam belt change frequency, but a lot of inspection work is required as the mileage increases. Coolant and brake fluid need to be changed every two years.

They've taken to being downright underhand so that they can quote a low price for the service. Then they call you up and say that the spark plugs need changing. "Isn't that part of the XX,000 mile service?" you ask, because you know that the owner's handbook says it's due. "Oh no sir, that's extra!"

SEP field working, not spotted in 102,900 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept