Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series gearbox removal HELP!

Kevsta

Can anyone help?

Took the engine out of the car this wekend (1400 ss K-series) and I need to detach the engine from the gearbox (took them out together). I've undone the four (?) bolts that hold the bell housing to the block and it has separated a bit but i can't seem to get them apart (its separated about 5mm). It seems like its holding on around where the starter motor is (I haven't removed this - should I?). I started to try and pry it apart but I don't want to just use brute force and ignorance and end up breaking something. Any ideas what it might be? *confused*

Many thanks

Kev

• Leadership Team

3 starter motor bolts and, as you mention only 4, have you removed the 2 into the sump also? With the starter removed, there's 6 bolts attaching the bellhousing to the block/sump. When they're out it's time to use a block of wood and a big hammer. Make that a very big hammer *eek*

The faces of the bellhousing and block will have literally bonded together over the years. When you re-assemble (1800 I assume *thumbup*) smear a little copperslip over the mating surfaces - you wont regret it *cool*

Stu.

Was hoping it wasn't that as the bolt at the back (did see it-thanks *thumbup*) looks like a pig to remove!

No I haven't removed the sump yet, though it is coming off so I'll do that also.

Yep, 1800 going in (VVC 😬) can't wait! I'll copper slip it all though as I intend to upgrade the 'box at some point (BGH hopefully!)...thanks for the tip *thumbup*

Cheers to all!

Kev

• Leadership Team

Remove the rear sump to bellhousing bolts, but leave the sump in place. There'll be a lot of flying wood when you start the clinical separation process - I'm sure you'd prefer it not to be in the bottom of the engine *eek*

Stu.

• Support Team

Rear starter motor bolt looks a pig but if you have a 1/2" drive allen key and short extension, it is actually quite easy. If you only have a normal allen key then you're in for a hard time *eek*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32