Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bespoke Throttle and Clutch Cables

Lakey

Does anyone know of a company that will tailor make a clutch and throttle cable for my Toyota engined SV.

At present the throttle cable is just too short and needs a slightly different route, and the clutch cable passes between the exhaust manifold and is too close for comfort.

Caterham SV 190....Yes THE 2ZZ-GE!

I'll try to e-mail some to you, only had it a few days and there are some issues to sort out before it's a runner!

The engine is a 2ZZ-GE from a Celica 190. It was the original test mule that was rumoured to exist, I bought it from Caterham three weeks ago. For some reason they decided not to proceed with the project, probably because of the lack of support from Toyota Motor Corporation.

I work for Toyota GB, so our technical chaps are going to have a look for me, the list of ECU issues on the latest engines are quite long. Basically the car is finished with the exception of the engine loom, ECU, connection to the car loom, cooling fan and coolant system and heat shielding for the bespoke manifold, and lastly a design for an air filter. The induction unit sits very close to the rear bulkhead.

I had never driven a Celica or Corolla with the 2ZZ-GE, my preferred choice of everyday wheels a Lexus LS, so I borrowed one at the weekend. It was quite an experience, the change to the high lift is quite dramatic and the noise along the motorway was quite pronounced. I dread to think what it's going to be like in a Caterham. May have to swap ECU's to the Corolla 2ZZ-GE, the transition to high lift is a little smoother than the Celica.

We're just trying to get our heads around the fact that the Celica ECU is expecting a lot i.e. ABS, VSC, sensors all over the place, and no where for them to connect. The Speed sensing for ABS and VSC is going to be interesting.

I get the feeling that the ECU warning light may need a bulb change in the first week or so!

Are you sure you don't want to go to an aftermarket ECU? AFAIK there are some on which you can dedicate an output channel to VVT or suchlike. Would be a shame to have the ECU running in limp-home mode all the time just cos it can't find the EGR valve or the power steering fast idle switch...

BTW; aren't Lotus running that Engine in the Elise? Might be worth checking what they are doing.

-Marin

At some point it may be worth a call, and getting a Elise sent down to the office.

A friend of mine tried an aftermarket ECU in his Corolla T Sport, safe to say it didn't work very well at all, despite the presence of ABS, VSC, power steering, etc. it wouldn't even run the engine. The trick is to convince the engine that is still in a Celica and fooling the ECU into thinking that everything is still there.

The car leaves to go to our technical centre next week, I'll just have to wait and see what the technicians come up with. The aftermarket route may be the only option, but I at least need to try to fire it up with Toyota parts. Our European colleagues have been involved with Jonny Milner, racing Toyota Corolla WRC's in the past, they have been developing performance parts for Toyota product, so there is some quite substantial knowledge there.

The combined wealth of Toyota knowledge, the offer from Caterham of technical support and this forum should get the car running. Oh and I just need a decent contact at Lotus!

The ECU research gets more interesting, there is an ECU designed by APEXi. the problem is it is manipulated by means of a remote commander, a small LCD hand held unit. It can run with some PC based software, but it is only available in Japanese!It would probably ned to be specially programmed for the Caterham.

Blitz in Japan manage to reprogramme the standard ECU in order for the engine to accept a supercharger, so there is some hope that the same thing can be done to make the ECU ignore certain readings.

The other options are tailor made Unichip sitting in front of the standard ECU or back to Racetech to produce an ECU with exactly the same performance settings but removing the requirement for some of the ABS/VSC/PS sensor readings.

Any other ECU suggestions would be gratefully received.

By the way Ferrino, what was the name of the guy at Toyota GB in the late eighties?

I have tried to run a 2ZZ on a Celica ECU without the rest of the car on an engine dyno at work. We couldnt manage it, without transplanting a lot of other parts from the car in there and so gave up.

The Apexi Power FC ECU is used in the USA by a lot of people with Celica's so it is available in English to as far as I know. It should be plug compatible with the Toyota wiring loom.

If you decide to try the Elise ECU route let me know and I may be able to help with a few things.

Also, if you get a moment could you take some pics of the engine mountings and where they attach to the block and also how the bellhousing looks to have been adapted and mail them to me. I am going to do a RWD install of a 2ZZ myself and it would be usefull to see how Caterham did it.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

I'll take some today and e-mail them to you.

I put a call into Lotus yesterday to find out how they went about the ECU change funnily enough.

As for the APEXi, I may have been reading an old article on the unit.

The South African agent uses an ECU and bespoke loom supplied by Racetech in the UK. I really want to try to complete the car with OE Toyota parts if possible, and after a conversation with our technical chaps yesterday, it would appear that the ECU has the ability to self learn a little. The Racetech ECU has been used by a friend of mine in a Corolla T Sport with limited success. the South African connection is interesting though, the standard Toyota ECU in SA is a simplified version of the UK one, the number of sensors required in SA being substantially less.

So I have contacted the Toyota distributor there to obtain the part number and hopefully order one.