Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petty strut hole

PACR

Can someone (with a 96 on de-dion chassis) measure the position of their front petty strut hole and post the results please?

Also is the strut needed for FIA compliance - has any competed in a sprint without it? I will have a passenger on the way to the sprint - I think the danger of a long, heavy steel bar lose in the car on the 2 hour journey outways it's potential value during the sprint.

Piers

I reckon you'd be better off drilling out a few of the rivets on the inside panel and finding it yourself.

I don't know if you'll be strictly FIA compliant without the strut - that's too many pages of Blue Book to wade through... But if you're running in a fully road-legal condition then there's no requirement for a rollover bar, so no worries about whether it's FIA compliant or not. The only exception to this is the L7CoGB sprint which does mandate the FIA bar, but probably doesn't mandate the strut.

Mike

The petty strut is not mandatory for sprints but if you have one best to use it, it only takes a few minuets to bolt it on on the morning. Why not strap it to the roll over bar across the luggage area/boot infront of the rear braces with your folding deck chairs, umberellas etc?

To find the threaded hole in the chassis drill out a few of the pop rivets on the inner skin and ease it forward slightly to spot the hole with a little torch.

Steve.

Piers,

To answer your original question, the hole on my 1999 de Dion car is about 31mm down and 5mm aft of the point where the dash chassis member rises from the horizontal. Before I fitted my strut, I asked the same question of Caterham, who said they didn't offer a template. So, I drilled out some of the top row of rivets fixing the trim panel, and then peeped inside to locate the hole. Having opened up a hole in the trim, however, I then found that the threaded hole was full of rust, and I had to clean it out (7/16" UNF, I think).

JV