Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Do I need to replace my clutch?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Engine and gearbox out so have clutch off - how do I work out whether I need to replace it? Or should I just do it anyway?

I foundthis thread with link but how do I know what clutch I have and what to check? The clutch looks like the one on this page so I guess is the normal Caterham AP clutch. I assume this is a single plate clutch and I should measure the thickness as described here but what type of clutch is it? Cerametallic, bonded paddle or sintered?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Alex - yes that was my first thought but it is over £200 for a new clutch plate and cover so seems a little wasteful if there is plenty of life left in the old one. I suspect that after 30k miles it's probably best to replace it but not if there is another 30k left in it. I am waiting for Caterham Engineering to call me back with regards to how to tell if it needs replacing. I'll post the answers up here when they do.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Why are you replacing the cover ? They don't normaly need replacing unless damaged....

You can have clutch plate friction linings relined rather than buying new (depending on plate type). Speak with Questmead on 01706 860088 to see if its possible for your plate. It will be a considerably cheaper experience, and just as good as new.

• Support Team

On the web site they sell the plate and cover separately - new clutch plate is £75, the cover is £130. I was after some pointers on what to check. If I can just replace the plate then I'll do that. I am also not 100% sure what clutch I have although I believe it to be the standard AP clutch that Caterham sell. I'm still waiting for them to return my call.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

After closer inspection I think I need a new clutch cover too - look here. I guess my CRB has been slipping *eek*.

Spoke to Simon Lambert this evening and he told me that Caterham had used many different clutches over recent years and that it would take someone who knew them to identify what type I had - if I took it to the factory then they could tell me. His other comments were that they rarely wear out in a Caterham but that if I had the engine out it would make sense to replace it. (And definitely replace the CRB.)Caterham have now settled on a single type of AP clutch and that is what they now recommend - cost is £150+VAT for a new plate and cover sold together.

My clutch cover actually has Valeo inscribed on it! That and given the state of the fingers has made up my mind that I will replace both the plate and cover. Thanks to you all for your thoughts and ideas.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Oliver - they are a bit of a mess! Can't believe I didn't notice that wear when I took the clutch off 😳.

Now - what are peoples' thoughts on the cause of that wear? I assume it is incorrect preload on the CRB so that the CRB is not rotating with the clutch. Guess I'll have to re-read the low flying article before replacing the clutch and ARB.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• 2 weeks later...

Shaun,

I assume it is incorrect preload on the CRB so that the CRB is not rotating with the clutch.
Certainly looks like it to me. Is the CRB contact face polished and discoloured? If so, it's been slipping because the pre-load is too low. Another possibility is that the clutch fork is not presenting the CRB squarely to the diaphragm springs. Look for unequal pressure marks on the metal clips at the back of the carrier where the lugs of the clutch fork make contact.

JV