Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Watts linkage - is it worth modifying chassis?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

With my chassis going to Arch this weekend, I have just thought of something else I could have done to it. The car is a 1997 and has the anti-roll bar over the diff and the dampers that bolt under the de-dion tube and trailing arms (i.e. no watts linkage). I understand that the later chassis' use a watts linkage, have the ARB under the diff and the dampers bolt through the de-dion. Is this newer set-up much better than the old one and would it be worth having the chassis modified to accept it? If I did have the chassis modified, what new bits would I need and what bits would I need to replace?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 2 Nov 2004 16:21:23

• Leadership Team

Have a chat with Bruce when you get to Arch - there's a fair amount of cost involved.

Advantage of the mod is very little unless you want to be able to brag about having a Watts link when down at the pub *confused*

Stu.

Caterhams' "Watts" is an Imposter.. it only barely meets the written description of a Watts linkage..and the Handling result is understandibly lacklustre.

It is possible to have a 'real' watts inna 7.. just study the Lotus Series 1 Seven or the Lotus 11..of 50! years ago. A surprisingly Simple Mod.. even the Clones manage it.

Caterham simply cannot 'fool' with the Sacred Series 3 layout can they:-)

JUST MY OPINION..............!

Have built two Watts linkage cars since building my own De-Dion car in 97............basically the things PANTS.....!

Even more bushes to wear out, more weight to carry and for what..........!

Have you seen the state of the UK roads...first one I built I had trouble to stop laughing when putting all the little bits together.............!

Save the money and fill up with Opitmax.............!

Shaun,

If you are having a lot of work done at Arch, it is a simple alteration.

You might want to have it put in whilst having all the work done, just in case the chassis guru's change your mind in the future.

Putting it in retrospectively on a painted chassis is going to be expensive.

Watts Linkage is not cheap and the dedion tube may need to be changed too.

Just a thought.

Best regards

Anthony

• Support Team

Anthony - thanks for your objective comments. Since my chassis is being completely stripped, if I was ever going to make the change then now would be the time. It seems from the above comments that I will not notice any difference in the handling and as I don't really want to spend too much money I think I'll forget about it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32