Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 K-Series

Neil A

Hi all,

Don't know how stupid a question this is but I am going to ask anyway. I have a 1.6K series supersport engine. How high can it be rev'ed and do they come fitted with a rev limiter?

Cheers

Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I will be blatting for breakfast.

• Area Representative

EU2 should have rev limiter at 7600 and a change warning light at 7400 (both 1.8 and 1.6)

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Hi Neil,

your questions have been answered already but you will probably find that once you get used to the car you won't rev it out anyway.

General rule of thumb. If the red light starts flashing it's probably a good idea to change up. 😬

See you at the weekend.

Duncan

A few photos here plus a shameless link to my company as I cannot do it from Blatchat.

Sorry for the hijack but can anyone tell me what the rev limit is on a 1700 Supersprint. I'm still learning my way round the car and I usually find myself changing up at about 6000rpm. Will it stand another 1500rpm?

Marcus

Edited by - Marcusbell on 3 Nov 2004 12:58:15

7600 for the supersport K is right. Max power and red light is 7400, at least on the 1.4. For the XF I wouldn't exceed 6.5k. Max power is about 5500/5750 anyway so there is little to be gained by going higher except heavy engine wear and a risk of breaking a crank. I used to know a chap who raced FF1600s, King of Cadwell 1989ish, he said the XFs were good for 600-700 track miles before he snapped a crank, usually by overrevving between the top of the Mountain and Hall curves. Not bothering changing up there and elsewhere was apparently worth upwards of 0.5 sec a lap, at some cost, evidently. He reckoned they always snapped between 3 and 4 and when this happened it broke the camshaft too, leaving very little worth saving in the motor. The cure was a rebuild every few races. *eek*

Sorry I forgot to add that I have found another rev limiter at about 4 or 5k in my car. It comes with it's own audible warning device too. Funnily enough I have only ever found it with a passenger in the car. 😬 😬 😬

A few photos here plus a shameless link to my company as I cannot do it from Blatchat.