Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyres

Ozzy

I know this has been asked before, but suggestions please regarding tyre choice. When I bought the car it was fitted with Michelins. Now I'm becoming more confidant, these are obviously not grippy enough. I want to keep my 15" wheels as these provide better ground clearance, especially as I've already had a few close shaves with the sump. Also, I can't justify the expense of buying another set of wheels at the moment. Car is mostly road use (sometimes caught out in the rain), and possibly 2 or 3 track days a year.

Would appreciate a few ideas, and roughly the mileage they'll last. And also if any locals read this, the best place to get them from/fitted. I'm on the bucks/herts border, nearest town Aylesbury.

Oz

Still Shaking

Cr500 pretty good tyre. comes in 15" for caterham. Yoko 032R ,good, heavyer than CR500 and not brilliant in standing water.( I only metion weight, as you have 15" wheels, they are a lot heavyer than 13" and if you can reduce the unsrung mass of the wheels *thumbup*)

048's are new yoko's, but no real expirience myself, but are said to be better than 032's in rain.

hope this helps *thumbup*

And failing

Lot of people us George Polley - Excellent prices on Yoko's,

www.polleymotorsport.co.uk

Based in Cambs.

I got some AO48's (in 14inch variety) earlier this year and was very happy with price and performance - they really suit the lightweight of the seven - are fine in the wet (assuming you drive what is a light car with reasonable car in wet conditions) and are grippy as FCUK in the dry.

Managed about 2500 on them with plenty left to get through the MOT. reckon they will be good for about 4k miles in all - depends how you use the car tho - at least 1000 miles of that was rather boring mway mileage.

See Angus's website for a great review of them in use on his car - it helped me make my choice.

Matt

You could buy some 13/14" wheels and much cheaper 70 profile tyres and end up with the same ground clearance as your 15" wheels!!

I'm fairly sure there was a post on here not so long ago that explained if you go for 13" with 70 profile tyres there is pretty much no loss in ride height at all.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 3 Nov 2004 09:25:34

Polley is cheapest and will post them to you. It wont cost more than £30 max to get them fitted by a local outfit

Otherwise I guess

Adams & Page Ltd, Lincoln Rd,Cressex Business Park, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP12 3RQ Tel: 01494 525971 are your nearest official Yoko supplier.

If you are in north bucks then Scotts Tyres in Northampton can source Yokos at reasonableish prices. I've bought 6 through them.

Spoke to Polley's this afternoon. As I'm probably doing 90% road use, with occasional track day, the guy I spoke to thought I might be better off with Yoko AVS sport tyres. Anybody had any experience of these tyres????????? They're also cheaper than AO48's.

Still Shaking

I'm sure they'll be better than Michelins but the amount of tread and the fact that they are made out of a conventional compound means that they wont be any where near as sticky as the AO range of tyres (21,32 or 48).

AVS would be good if you plan high mileage and want to run in the wet often(?) AO48s are softer and will wear out after ~3000miles but you'll enjoy all those miles much more. Just depends if thats too much of a compromise? AO's just wont be much cop in the rain on the road but you wont believe the cornering forces you'll experience on track. If the cars a daily driver then maybe AVS, if you only drive it for fun then AO48.

• Leadership Team

Ozzy,

There was an advert in LF last month I think of a tyre company in High Wycombe that had decent Yoko prices including fitting.

I've always used George Polleyin the past, but next time I'll give these guys a chance if they can save the postage and fitting charges.

Sorry - don't have details to hand though - Michael.