Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intermittent wipers & oil pressure...

rynicolson

Do the current crop of Caterhams still have this function on the wipers, my old car had it when you pressed the switch onto position one then off again immeadiately it would give you a 5 second (or so) intermittent function... new car seems to be missing this, or is it a wiring s.... up? (I need this living in t'north!)

Also what is the k series (1000rpm)usual oil pressure reading?

John, my "old" car was '93 car, so it seems I've been 'ad... or maybe the switch is duff, as for oil.... mine is c. 1 bar hot so that makes me feel better, thought it a little low but everything seems OK... anyone with a 2001 car that can comment on wipers before I trapse back to caterham?

To the best of my knowledge the intermittent wipe option comes courtesy of a seperate plug-in unit which sits on the rear of the wiper relay under the dash. I don't believe that it is a standard fitment, certainly it used to have to be specified as an option at extra cost, though times may have changed. If you don't have the additional relay, you won't get intermittent wipe...

I'm a bit behind the times stuck out here in Asia at the moment so apologies if this is out of date advice - but hopefully a place to start before you start to trace electrical gremlins.

Pierson

Just thought I'd mention an odd quirk with my wipers even though I have seldom used them.........

If I do use them and then switch them off completley.....they carry on ,in intermittant mode for a while...which really bugs me especially if it's stopped raining........is that usual.......only remembered about it because of this thread.

Kenny HPC

Some feedback from a '2001' owner. The handbook still refers to an intermittent feature but my wipers are most certainly not! Asked Caterham about this, and they said that they have been having trouble in sourcing a reliable 'intermittent' circuit and so had reverted to a simple two speed circuit, which is now the standard fit. Forced to use my 'intermittent' finger instead...

b.t.w., on the subject of oil pressure, my 1.6K holds a solid 4 bar on start up, but I've seen this drop to 0.9/1 bar after a longer run, or when sitting in a pesky traffic jam for 40 minutes. Similar to the experiences of others, I suppose, which is reassuring.

Christian

thanks all... it seems therefore that 2001 cars don't have the intermittant function... back to quick finger solution then. Kenny, my old car had what you describe, best thing is to quickly turn wipers on and off again and that'll kill them. As for oil pressure, Christian mine is identical so I guess we're OK...

The intermittent function is a 'Lucas' box above the fuse box. If the car is used in all weathers (why else would you have wipers), then the earth contact - via the fixing screws - becomes intermittent itself. This means that they continue working after you shut off the switch.

Two solutions:

1. Replace the box.

2. Remove the box and lose the intermittent but gain the flick wipe.

Caterham, I believe, struggled with this for a while and recently decided to implement option 2.

If you wish to follow suit, just unplug the 2 wires and remove the box. Then connect the 2 plugs together as a bypass, or if you want to save 100g, re-wire the motor to remove the extension lead.

Cheers,

Graham