Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Vulcan Bomber

Peter T

Am amazed its going for that much! Its in appalling condition & has been sat in the salty Blackpool air for 20 odd years. I am reasonably sure that the Walton family who own XH558 didnt pay that much for the last airworthy one when they bought it off the RAF.

Someone has got themselves an expesnive liabilty! The auction is way over the scrap value!

yeah,

weird looking at the bidders..

it was looking a bit sensible with bids around £50K or so (still a bit high I would think!) but then jumped to 1 million (with a bidder with 7 feedbacks, most of them for £5 or less purchases to do with ducattis).

then goes silly with new members.

just shows how ebay can be a total wast of time sometimes. Why the hell don't they police it better and kick off people with stupid bidding??? *confused*

On the other thread I posted the info that was in the Sunday Times article about it - apparently the Trust who are trying to get another one flying said that they had looked at it and decided it was so corroded it was not even any good to them for spares, and that its value as scrap would be between £5000-£6000 - so even bids of £50,000 seems very very excessive!! Imagine the cost of moving it for a start!

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

Well, I had my share of fake bidders, too.

The only way to go for high-value items is to allow registered bidders only: they have to contact you before they can bid, you perform a check and register them. This helps a bit.

Otoh, at least here in Germany a (winning) bid is a legal declaration of will, and therefore the bidder enters a legally binding contract. *If* the registered address is correct and the person registered did indeed place the 5m bid (which they have to prove they did not), they are oblieged to fulfill the contract or pay damages. 25% of the bid amount is the usual amount here, court-proof.

tiddy! *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬

"one of my cousins is a farmer and he has a shed with the roof made from a vulcaN bomber, he bought it for £2000, delivered many years back, it was cheaper than building a shed, he just built a wall round it!"

any pictures??? I've got a friend who used to fly phantoms but now runs a small farm in Wales.. I'd love to get him thinking along those lines!

Sorry neil no pictures but wil try and get some, its down in kent somewhere but I only saw it once about 26 years ago when I was 10! He had a big farm and had just parked the thing on pillars or something, it was totally stripped out not like the one on e-bay he also had a DUKW.