Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Need Ross's Help...

Mrs GTD

So how do you cook your haggis? And is it mashed potatoes & mashed swede with it? Anything else? And what should we drink with it?

This haggis is proving complicated... *tongue*

Mrs GTD

Carbonette - patches that make it easy to say NO to carbon fibre

Thanks!

But, is what you call a turnip in Scotland what we in the South call a swede? GTD's family call swedes turnips, which caused much confusion for along time.

Swedes are the brown ones with pale, apricoty coloured insides, and turnips are the smaller white & green ones with white insides.

Mrs GTD

Ooo, thanks Ross! So it looks like mashed swede, mashed potato & a loverly haggis are on the menu tonight...

Now what was the XTC song..."time to taste the difference 'tween lemons & limes..."

Mrs GTD

Yup - veggie variety - but I used to love the meat variety when I was a meat eater. This one sounds good though - lots of scrummy ingredients in it. I'll take the advice on the website you mentioned and simmer it, rather than cook it in the oven or 'nuke' it in the microwave!

Do you recommend a wee dram with it? Or a pint of Stella? *tongue*

Mrs GTD

Edited by - Mrs GTD on 1 Nov 2004 09:14:01

Hello Mrs GTD *smile*

If you possess a steamer (which I would presume you do, 'cos it's the best way of preserving vitamins and minerals in veggie cooking)... you'll find the casing of the haggis is less likely to split during the cooking process *thumbup* Casings used to be made from unmentionable parts taken from the interior of a fluffy-wuffy-sheepy thing and were quite strong - there is no suitable alternative for a vegetarian casing, so it'll be made from some unmentionable non-animal-derived material *tongue* and have a greater propensity to fail in its prophylactic *eek* duties 😬

FH *cool*

Oo-er!

The wrapping on the haggis says to wrap in foil & simmer for 45 mins, bake in the oven in a casserole with a little water or nuke! As microwaving is definitely not a Dixon household preferred method of cooking I asked the Sheds for advice, as I wanted the most authentic way of cooking possible.

If the skins are fragile I guess wrapping in foil & steaming would be the best option. I could steam the potaoes & swedes too - much nicer than boiling if making mash. *smile*

I'll post again tomorrow to let you know how the fragile prophylactic copes *eek* 😬

BTW - do you read the Sunday Times? I tried the recipe for Fennel Risotto last night - absolutely gorgeous!

Mrs GTD

• 1 year later...