Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine's built

V7 SLR

My lovely (shiny) engine is now sitting in my garage (looking shiny) all complete (and shiny) save for one or two small jobs (it's shiny):

Attach alternator. Need bolt for adjuster strap (rounded head trying to get it off).

Make TB spacers. Need 250mm long 80mm diameter ali bar (anyone help?).

Connect engine to gearbox and install in car. Need hoist. Anyone in the Midlands got one I can borrow?

Attach pipes (waiting for Samcos) and wiring, add some non-synth oil to engine and Redline MTL to gearbox. Smear cams with cam lube, attach cam cover, then crank for oil pressure.

Screw in plugs and START.

Borrow wideband lambda and check map is "safe" as it's being run-in.

Proper mapping at Emerald.

Break LSR. 😬

Well, despite my inappropriately blowing off steam at Scholar earlier in the week, the work they do is fantastic. In fact, like most good ideas, you can't help but wondering why you didn't think of it... or at least 10 other people at the same time. And I know that other companies offer something similar, but I don't believe any of them offers their equivalent at anything similar to Scholar's price.

The reassembly was helped by the fact that the liners don't move. You have to squeeze that anaerobic sealant onto the crankcase face but because the block was upside down, it makes it easier to apply the goop to the block face... except the crank counterweights were in the way. No problem. Just rotate the crank round. Can't do that with normal liners because they'd move.

Big thanks to Pete for his expert guidance. It's going to be a stonking engine. *thumbup*

Other observations... My engine originally came with the plastic dowels betwixt head and block. I replaced them ages ago with steel dowels, but those I inserted today required a gentle tap into place with a soft mallet. Likewise, the head needed a gentle tap too. All this means that the steel dowels REALLY locate the head in place. So, with those dowels and the Scholar liners, I feel that all the k series reliability issues have been addressed.

And I know that the Caterham dry sump system is expensive, but I've reattached the scavenge pump to the engine too today and I have to say it is ingeneous. They have used the Rover power steering pump bracket to mount the scavenge pump, and the same pulley system (poly-V) to drive it. I can't help thinking that if it's good enough for countless Rovers, then it's good enough for a Caterham.

My sump pan has taken a pounding over the last 25K miles, but apart from wear, it's perfectly intact. Says CATERH... now. 😬

I can't post the overall cost here in case my wife ever reads it. *tongue* I can email you the details (spreadsheet) if you fancy. Better email me so I get your address.

Thanks for the loan of the hoist. I'm only in Redditch so I could pick it up quite easily. Would it be convenient to borrow it next weekend? I'm hoping to borrow a couple of friends to help with the whole engine-in experience.

Very nice. Out of interest are you planning on running it without cambelt covers? - whilst it certainly looks nice like that, isn't there a risk of a stone or similar getting between the belt and a pulley and throwing the belt?

I'm slowly gathering parts, so this has improved my motivation to get on with it. Got a week off week after next, so might try and finish stripping down the block. Very very tempted to follow you down the Evo2 1900 route - looks quite good value considering it includes the intereference fit liners and pistons - only about £100 more expensive than the 1800 route. Is there much experience around yet of the reliability of the 1900?

Finally, looking at your pic, it looks like the water take-off spout on the T/Bs is at an angle - is this so or is it an illusion?

Thanks

Dave

So sorry for late reply. Been to a family party (my youngest brother's now 30 *eek* which means we're an old family now)...

Anyway, in order:

Mick, it's the scavenge pump belt tensioner.

Graham, didn't I mention it's shininess? *wink*

Dave M, I've a special cambelt cover in mind. Need a sheet of ali before I can make it.

Chris, likey?

David W, they are Jenvey trumpets but I bought them off another Se7ener-friend who had them for sale. Normally they approach £200 for the set (inc vat and delivery) but he let me get away with half price. *thumbup*

Dave, WRT piston clearance... I didn't check. I went with the recommendations from Scholar and DVA that a) the pistons will only crown as high as the previous ones, and that the pockets were cut out big enough that Scholar have used larger valves than mine, and b) the 1444's are OK to use 140 thou lift on overlap.

My fuel pump is already the uprated one. Caterham insists that all SLRs had the uprated one. I had to check before my previous upgrades.