Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cylinder Head Mods

spinmaster

I have inherited a cylinder head off my brothers Elise and was going to get it modified, in an effort to produce about 190bhp (along with throttle bodies and new ECU).

Any ideas on port sizes, cams, valves etc that I should be using (without having to stengthen the bottom end or blowing up the engine, due to the rev's being to high)?

Does anyone know of anybody that could do the work at an ok cost?

My engine is currently a 1.8 Supersport

Thanks

Try this link

http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews/kengine.htm

for everything you need to know.

Basically you need Paul Ivey 29.5mm inlet valves and 26mm exhausts (they just fit the stock inserts £11 each), Piper BP285M cams (£220 + VAT) and some shims to convert the followers to solid(£32), a pair of verniers (£120+VAT), some QED/Jenvey direct to head TBs(£425 +VAT) and airbox kit from Bernard Scouse(£320), an Emerald M3DK (£500+VAT for which maps are available at this spec.) and a decent 4-2-1 manifold such as that from EBD. I have a spreadsheet which calculates port/throat/seat sizes for any nominated valve size if you'd like a copy. The combination above properly done gives in excess of 190BHP on an 1800K and around 180BHP on a 1600K.

Oily

Oily,

I was led to believe there was very little scope for porting and enlarging valves on standard Elise head due to there just not being the meat there, before you hit water ways etc, and that for the power figures mentioned in this thread you would need to find a VVC head to accomodate this.

I know nothing at all as yet about K engines being a VX man, but would like to hear your thoughts as I've seen you talk a lot of sense on this site (thought I'd put that bit of grovelling in, in case the gremlins strike).

Kenny HPC

Edited by - kenny on 14 Aug 2001 18:10:12

The valve sizes Oily quotes are a fit for the standard inserts (just). If you can get the throat trimmed out to match the valve sizing and get a good shape throughout the port you can get these power levels. You can reinsert and go to a bigger inlet valve, but eventually you run out of metal to remove and ultimately the VVC head has the better potential and a better port line.

But I'm only repeating things that Oily has pointed out.

Kenny,

Led to believe by who ;-)?

Try

http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews/kengine.htm

And have a read of the head mods section.

There is plenty you can do to the stock K16 head, a good one flows 75CFM, a properly modified K16 head with 29.5/26mm valves will flow 110CFM (Simon Parker spec.), when inserted for 31.5mm valves can flow 125CFM. A stock VVC head flows 98CFM, fully worked with 32.5mm valves it can flow 136CFM (Peter Carmichael/Mike Bees spec.). In short a properly modifed K16 head with 29.5/26mm valves in the std inserts properly worked flows enough air for well over 200BHP, with 31.5mm valves enough for over 220BHP, a properly modifed std valved VVC head flows enough for 225BHP , a big valve VVC head flows enough for 250BHP.

Oily

Edited by - Oilyhands on 14 Aug 2001 19:37:30