Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake dust on Mini wheels (O/T a bit)

andy couchman

Another vote for Wonder Wheels, but be careful with it.

It removed the plastic "chrome" off the cap that went over my locking wheel nuts on my tin top!

Also watch you don't flick it in your eyes with the pastry brush applicator thingy - blimey it stings!

I’m not all that keen on acid type cleaners, which from memory the Comma stuff is.

Try a traffic film remover from your local industrial cleaning supplier.

I get mine from Hugh Crane in Acle 01493 750072 This is the stuff that professional valeters use. Its also used in car washing plants. 5 litres costs about £10 and shifts just about most things including brake dust. I dilute it down with water to 10% and put it in a spray bottle. A 30% solution shifts just about anything! Leave it for a couple of minutes and then wash off. Can be used with a power washer as well.

Its an alkaline detergent and does not seem to affect the wheel lacquer or paint work at all.

You can also get cold-water wax again for about £10 for 5 litres, which is great if you wash your car, and then spray on and rinse off. No substitute for proper wax polishing of course but beads up well.

Grant

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 31 Oct 2004 16:41:14

Yes NIX onna commercial 'Wheel Cleaners' they are Bad news..for Ali and Paint.

Suggest regular cleaning with 'normal' soaps.. they do remove 'Fresh' deposits easliy.

the Price of Sloth.:-)

Also begs the question as to what pads are being used? not all produce mass quantities of Caustic Dust.