Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine not wanting to start?

Nick Whitlam

I have a rover K series and have just fitted D2H throttle bodies, uprated cams and a DTA ECU. The engine wants to crank over, I have power to everything, thanks to Oily, i now have the timing set correctly, yet it doesn't want to fire up. I know there is fuel going through the rail and regulator, the plugs are firing, but nothing seems to happen. I am completly out of ideas, can any one think of anything that I may have missed?

It has to be fuelling..

Check the TBS are not completely closed or way too far open, check by looking down the barrels, check the balance by eye.

Try connecting a laptop to the ECU with the appropriate software, then see if the software indicates a crank speed when you are cranking, if it doesn't then it may be that the ECU doesn't know the engine is turning over. If it sees the cranking RPM, try dialling in a bit more/less fuel till the engine fires. If the engine doesn’t fire, inspect the plugs to see if they are wet. If they are wet there is too much fuel, heat the plugs up on the gas ring till they are hot / dry and re-fit them. Then try dialling some fuel out.

Usually works for me.

Of course if you had an Emerald M3DK it would be simple...

Oily

I would add two points here.

1. Check that when cranking the ECU supply voltage is not being pulled down to the point that it does not fire (this is a favorite with MBE ECU's - the engine cranks fine, but no spark....)

2. Check the ECU +ve connection remains live when the ignition key is turned to the cranking position. The engine may only firing when the inertia of the cranking is still turning it. I had difficult starting for years before I figured this one out.....

Fat Arn

See another FAT ARNIE here

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

I support Arnie here. I carried out the same modifications and had the same symptoms on initial start up. Nothing to do with timing of cams but everything to do with power to the ecu. It was solved by one of John Noble's guys who fitted a seperate relay to power the ecu.