Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clearing Water From The INSIDE Of The Windscreen - How?

YellowSeven

I have a windscreen fitted and cant remove it (reg's etc) so aero screen is out. When it is raining heavly on track I find the inside of the screen gets covered in droplets and spray and its a nightmare to get rid of, visability is compromised and wiping it with a gloved hand makes it worse!!

Does anyone have any practical solutions?

Also does Rain-X work? can I put it on the inside of the screen?

Ideas please

• Support Team

One other thought - are you using the sidescreens? They keep a lot of the water out and i find with RainX a 20 minute session is doable. The RainX also means you can wipe the screen with your hand without making it worse. How long are your races?

Tiff - read the post *tongue* - he has to run a windscreen for the race regulations.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you have a roadsport cage fitted then tank tape between teh front cage bar and the top of the windscreen helps a little. Beware race regs though as too much tape has been seen naughty by srutineers in the past. Prob. thinking it could give an aerodynamic advatange.

Steve.

Agree with Nifty - surprising how well this works for the fine stuff.

When I rode a mbike I had this little rubber 'wiper' rubber thingy which went over your glove, so that you could wipe your visor with your finger - could try that and reach forward.

Funnily enough it is not really rain droplets that form ont he window but, in our case anyway, it is more of a case of water building up at the top of the screen, along the top of the ali surround, before 'globbing' enough to run over the top and run down the inside of the glass - often thought a simple plastic 'gutter' along the top (very small) would stop this.

Will have to wait until we re-fit the screen though *smile*

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

• Support Team

Maddox,

Interchangeable aeroscreens can be bought from Caterham (expensive) or Richard in France. They are a straight swap with a windscreen and utilise the front bolts from the w/s stanchions and a centre fixing on the tonneau poppers. The first time you swap you will have to cut the wires to the heated screen and fit bullet connectors. You will also need to spend some time attaching the mirrors and the centre fixings. Once all the setup has been done it should then be a 10 minute job to swap between windscreen and aero.

Sounds easy - perhaps I should give it a go 😬.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I didn't read the post properly 😳

Maddox - Caterham supply the aeroscreen, and initially you have to replace a small channel section on the chassis (bolted on) with one that has captured bolts (easy job). This then stays in place for both windscreen and aeroscreen. Once the windscreen is removed attachment of the aeroscreen uses one of the windscreen mounting points each side. You have to fit the mirrors (supplied) to the aeroscreen and can still use the tonneau. Pull off the wipers, and there you go. (Don't forget the licence either - most use a M/cycle holder). The only job left is to fit some bullet conectors to the heated windscreen so you can easilly connect back again.

Caterham supply a simple composite version which I have, or you can go for carbon, or you can go to other suppliers for different shapes of carbon (Richard in France etc)

The whole kit (composite) inc mirrors, channel piece etc is £350 from CC. Carbon version is £550 but the other carbon manufactures have a cheaper product.

Don't know about the weight - but it's pretty minimal - the mirrors (Spa small race type) weigh more than the aeroscreen.