Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy racing Starter motor

Jan_Coombes

Not only the over all weight saving of the standard stuff about 4-9kg.

But the weight saving on the flywheel is the bigest thing.

The Fly wheel is a big heavy thing the engine has to try and spin every time you get on the gas.

Reducing its weight will free this up. So the engine will be less stressed, and will rev quicker and easier. (but clearly not higher)

Thus making it quicker under excerlation. And it make your engine sound better too :)

It is noticeable

Basicly the diffrence between having the passanger in the car and not having a passanger.

The starter is required as standard one wil not work. It is quite a lot lighter and looks nice and shiny.

I have a bike powered car now, so I can't use this any more.

But I will have the flywheel lightened on my spare engine as it the way forward. IMO

www.JanCoombes.com

I Brought it about a year and half ago, my car is just a fair weather weekend toy, I don't do many miles in it.

I did do 2 sprints last year.

But no racing or track days.

When I say a few time I am going on the fact you only use the starter once to get going then thats it.

If I had to guess I would say it has started my engine less than 50 times.

I don't think that is a lot if I think how many time you start and stop my road car.

www.JanCoombes.com

Jan, thanks for the info on the flywheel however I already have a lightweight flywheel from QED. I was interested in the in the weight of the starter and any other advantage that the starter have. If I also have change the flywheel then the weight of that is important.

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*

You don't stop playing because you get old

You get old because you stop playing

I know the fly wheel is 5.5" and is 2.1 KG

A Standard fly wheel is about 6KG

As for the starter motor. I will try and find out for you, I don't have any scales at home.....

As for advantages, I can't think if any other than the weight.

Maybe it is better/stonger than a standard one, but I can't yes or no to that as I just don't know.

www.JanCoombes.com

If you could let me know about the weight then I can consider if it's worth the effort.

Dave

TRY 5S

Buzzin' Bee It's never too late for a happy childhood *cool* *cool* *cool*

You don't stop playing because you get old

You get old because you stop playing

Edited by - Davey Bee on 28 Oct 2004 13:25:51

I have one of these. Been on my car for a good 7 or 8 years. Started it many, many times with 12.5:1 compression ratio and a red top 25 battery.

It's a geared type with a reduction between the motor bit and the starter gear. As well as meaning the starter gear is an inch further inboard, hence smaller flywheel, the geared bit means it also cranks the engine over much faster than a standard starter motor does with the high CR.

You can get flywheels from SBD for this starter to take either 7.25 inch or 5.5 inch AP clutches. I started with the former then moved to the latter to gain an even greater reduction in rotational inertia. The former is fine on the road, especially when fitted with Helix organic plates. I'd be happy using the latter on the road too but you wouldn't wan to do high mileages with the sintered plates used on this size clutch.

Excellent bit of kit and bargain price. Bite his hand off.