Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Choice (see post in TechTalk)

Jenson Button

DUPLICATE POST - SEE THREAD IN TECHTALK here.

OK, so I'm buying a 1.6 Superlight which has ACB-10's on it currently. I figure as it's my first Se7en and it's winter *eek* I'll put slightly more 'appropriate' tyres on it! 😬

I know the ACB-10's are highly rated and I'll be keeping them and putting them back on in the summer when it's drier and I've got a bit of experience under my belt. I'll probably get a spare set of wheels so I can switch between two different tyres at will depending on the weather.

Originally I was going to go for CR-500's, but I've since been recommended Yokohama A021R and 048R by different people. I must say that the A021R appeals as it may compliment the ACB-10's better - I would then have a distinctly 'dry' tyre as well as one for wet use. Whereas the CR-500's are still (as I understand it) not great in the wet. Is this the right choice?!!! *confused*

Edited by - ChocolateTelevision on 27 Oct 2004 14:22:53

Edited by - ChocolateTelevision on 27 Oct 2004 14:25:33

I am sure this is better in a different forum....

but I would say the reverse

the cr500's are much better in the wet that 32's(not sure about 21's as never used them)

plus you can run your cr500's on an acb setting whereas you will not get even wear with the 32's

rob

Ive used CR 500 both on the track and on the road in the wet although it has to be said the car is 99% used on the track. I haven’t had any problems at all. Never used the Yoko's so cant compare. Ware rate on the Avons is a bit high - backs totally shot, fronts almost shot after 10 track days (2000 miles). Don’t know what you could expect if you used them as a road tyre. They have tremendous grip in the dry. And are very predictable in the wet.

Grant