Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electric fan

John E

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I can wire my electric fan to come on automatically. Currently its wired to a simple on/off switch on the dashboard. The engine is a 1700 crossflow and there is a switch (I think) in the thermostat housing.

I'm not clued up on crossflow radiators but that is where the thermo. switch is normally fitted (at the top). It is just a case of taking the two wires from the existing dash mounted switch and connecting them to the rad. mounted thermo. switch. On my 'K' series 1400 SS I have fitted a seperate overide swich so if the rad. unit fails I can manually switch it on. You could wire it up like that (utilising your existing switch) to be on the safe side!

John, I think its the same as the 1600, in that the thermostat is mounted in a XR2i housing on the cylinderhead itself, with the coolant filler cap.

You can run a wire from the ignition, (or primary side of coil if you want the fan to come on when ignition is off, preventing temp/pressure buildup when initially parked up) to the fan and then to earth. To maintain independent fan control with a switch as well, simple connect the switch in parallel with the thermostat!

Mat