Click here if you are having website access problems ×

zetec america/final hookups

debushau

I am trying to complete my car - De Dion with Zetec ("Roadsport America" I think it's dubbed) - but the Caterham/Rover manual does not cover the points. These are novice questions.

Where is the inertia switch? I have the plug from the chassis loom but there's nothing on the bulkhead or ECM which seems to take it.

How is the remote oil sensor fitted? There's not enough clearance beside the oil filter to thread in the unit and adapter. I'd rather not make up a line as metric fittings are difficult to acquire locally.

The manual talks about 2 thick brown wires taped together which need to be attached to the battery positive terminal. Can't locate these fellows - where would they come from and what might their function be? Have spotted the single thick brown wire.

Orange (black sheathed) wire with ring connector and in-line fuse coming from loom leading to ECM - where might this go?

Vehicle speed sensor - triangular, three pin connector - what hooks with this? The speed transducer is already on.

Throttle cable - what's a good method to capture this at the top of the pedal - I think it would take superhuman strength to squeeze the opening at the top of the pedal together. Little hole at the front is too small to pass through.

Someone who has fitted a Zetec engine may be able to explain the correct routing of coolant tubes - before I dump some of the Caterham supplied ones - all of them seem to be either the wrong shape, width or length. There are, as I see it, about 9 water outlets - 2 on the radiator (upper and lower), 2 on the expansion bottle, 1 at the front of the engine beside the exhaust manifold, 4 on the thermostat (2 for the heater, 1 large and a small one on the top). Can someone explain the "put A with B" for me before I start cutting up all of the tubing I have?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I have solved most of the previously posed questions. For reference, this is what I found out -

The inertia switch is black plastic switch supposedly mounted on the bulkhead, it may be found on the driver or passenger side. Still can't find it on my car however . . .

Remote oil sensor is mounted on the chassis rail with the stud for the earth. The block has a female 1/4 NPT thread, the pressure gauge has a male 10mm x 1.0 thread. Caterham should supply the converter to adapt the 10mm to a 1/4 NPT. There's a T-junction with a plug supplied in the kit and a braided cable which can make the connection - but it's far too long. I bought a shorter one from Pegasus Racing and some bits from American Street Rod.

2 thick brown wires are not taped together - they are separate and one is red, not brown. The brown one has a black protective covering (just to make things interesting).

Vehicle Speed Sensor - just for an ECM function whihc is not used by Caterham.

Throttle cable - yes, just squeeze it together.

Coolant - cars without heaters are not supplied with the junction at the lower radiator hose. Apparently, the bottom outlet at the expansion tank is routed to one of the lower outlets on the thermostat. The other is blocked. The large outlet on the thermostat leads to the upper hose, the small outlet on the top leads to the top of the expansion tank. Lower radiator hose leads to the water pump. If there are clearance problems with the water pump, try fitting the 1/4 inch aluminium spacers under the steering rack and routing the coolant pipe under the steering column after rotating the column a bit. It works but not very pretty. To be pretty, try the Raceline Water Rail kit.

Shane